Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 05:53 AM

Utterly confused - general questions about MDS

Hi everybody, and by the way this site is amazing for the courage people show, and the kindness they give to each other.
With the struggle I have, the following questions pop up:
Is MDS usually a myeloid problem, or does it include also lymhoid series - or if I understood properly, the cells other than lymphocytes? Noting most people speak about neutropenia and not lymphopenia. If they all have problems (decrease), then that would mean a problem with the original stem cell?
On the other hand, if there are problems with many cell lines for a long time, it is probably not just a simple deficiency in some vitamin? -Unless inability to absorb that thing...
As one could guess my generally low normal lymphocytes dipped below the normal, while I feel like the energizer bunny without the batteries.
Best of luck for everybody
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 03:23 PM

MDS

Hi lotusbud,
Here is a slide (unfortunately not sharp) showing the blood forming stem cell and the two arms - myeloid stem cells and lymphoid stem cells.
http://www.lls.org/content/nationalc...haticchart.pdf

I have read several posts at this forum where members discuss their lymphocytes but I think most MDS patients have problems with red blood cells, neutrophils and platelets - not the lymphocytes. My lymphocytes have always been low but within the normal range.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sat Jun 23, 2012, 10:36 AM

Smile lymphoycts

My oncologist/hemotologist checks my lymphoycts more so than my white, they are what the call the baby white cells. doc seems to be more intrested in that count. Not sure why. I'll try and find out. Hope you find the info you need. and welcome to the family keep us informed.

Anneg
God Bless
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 06:19 AM

Thank you Birgitta and Anne.
I wonder about that baby white cell for lymphocytes?
The picture of cell differentiation was very good. Thank you.
Anyway I wanted to second opinion as to either worry or not to worry about this stuff, and ... I was told that I am too young to have MDS (I am now 49 and have been under hem care for 5 years), and it can not be serious because otherwise I should have been gone long time ago to the other side of rainbow.
Not quite sure which sign to put.
Anyway she did not release me from her care but made sure I return after yet another folic acid boost. Perhaps it helps the sligth changes in my bone marrow that nobody knows what to do with them. Just wish had more energy to enjoy this life!
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusbud View Post
I was told that I am too young to have MDS (I am now 49 and have been under hem care for 5 years)
90% of MDS patients are over age 60, but not 100%. My wife was in her early 40s when she got her MDS diagnosis.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 10:20 PM

Hi,

I am only 36 and was diagnosed 6 months ago. Yes I was told I was too young as well but I always knew I was "special"

My doctor has never mentioned lymphocytes but mine are always low (usually around the .6 mark). At diagnosis all my counts were low though but not low enough to require transfusions (Hgb around 90; platelets around 30-60 and nuetrophils usually under .5). I also had about 4% blasts in my periphal blood.

Isn't interesting what different doctors focus on.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 07:05 AM

I suppose we are special each on our own way.
Sometimes doctors seem to get stuck with numbers. Statistics is other funny thing - what for me is true is not statistically so, or statistics is not meaningful for me.
As my coworker said, what are the chances that I will meet you in the desert? Well, either I do or I do not... which is 50-50.
In another thread I was talking about this "reaction" I got, with 1 in 250 000 chance. The doctor thougth it insignificant, but guess what I thougth about it afterwards? And also the doctor, when I presented to him prior to surgery resembling a cooked lobster.
So maybe I am just very confused now
but I am sure it will get better
please everybody try and have a wonderful day!