Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Vera's passing

On behalf of Marrowforums, I want to extend condolences to Vera's family and to all of those people on this site who took Vera into their hearts as she struggled to overcome her MDS. She will be remembered here as a fighter who was always willing to share the details of her experiences and offer support to others facing similar battles. This long thread of posts, which began on June 9, 2009, contains 125 posts that were viewed over 5,500 times! Vera's contribution to Marrowforums will be a valuable resource to new patients and caregivers who arrive looking for information and support.

With sympathy,
Ruth Cuadra
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 06:32 PM

I am so saddened by this news. Vera was such an amazing person so full of life. She fought hard and had such a positive attitude. She will be missed dearly. At least she suffers no more.

Laura
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 09:46 PM

I am sorry to hear this sad news. May the presense of God be felt by Vera's family.

Zoe
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 12:13 AM

May Vera rest in peace.
May Vera's husband and her family be strengthened by their treasured memories of better times and happier days with Vera.
May we all be heartened by the strong example of her fight for good health.

Gloria
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 04:11 PM

I had faith that Vera was going to pull through this. To read this news is so disheartening. I am to procede with a transplant in 6-7 weeks and now all I can think about is leaving my family behind...much too soon!
My prayers go out to Vera and her family.
Jill
Jill, 58 y/o female dx with MDS-U June 2008, IPSS:Int. 2. Allogeneic SCT May 25, 2010. Relapsed January 2011. Started Vidaza (azacitadine) Feb. 2011; Currently on cycle #58 , IV, 5-days every six weeks. WBC 5.3, Hgb 13.0, PLT 110 (2/16/18)
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 11:06 AM

God Bless Vera

Such sad sad news. May God bless Vera's spirit and keep her family strong through this trying time.

Prayers going out,

Susanne
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 06:38 PM

Vera

I read Vera's posts eagerly and drew strength from her positive attitude and recovery. I'm grateful for her posts and optimism. My best wishes to her family and prayers for us all.
Beryl
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 03:41 AM

She is hero for me and mini summer transplant team.She always optimistic and give me positive thougts.Now i understand everythig change easily.One month ago everywhere may full of sunshine,now full of stormy and sadness.
i want to extend condolences to Vera's family and lovers...
Old Thu Apr 1, 2010, 07:10 PM

Vera

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Dennis here, I wanted to first say thank you so much for all of the support and well wishes from you all. It has made a very difficult time a little easier to handle knowing that I have such wonderful supporting friends. Thank you.

We are going to have a Celebration of Vera's life in April 11th at 2pm.

There will be a small service and eulogy with music and a slideshow. This will be followed by cocktails and h'osterviors.

Please come and help us celebrate the beautiful person my wife Vera was.

If you wish to send flowers, please send them to be delivered that day. Or there will be a foundation set up in Vera’s name with the Best Friends Animal Society as well as the Lymphoma Society. Another email will be sent out with regards to this.

Thank you again, and I look forward to seeing you.

Dennis
The above came to me by e-mail concerning Vera's service from her husband, Dennis. I still am in shock over Vera's passing. I still cannot quite believe it. She seemed so full of life and doing so well. Does anyone understand how things could have changed so quickly for Vera?
Old Thu Apr 1, 2010, 07:52 PM
Owner

If any of you want to attend the Celebration for Vera and need the location, directions, or contact information, or if you want to know where to send flowers, please send me a private message and I'll send you back the details.
Old Fri Apr 2, 2010, 05:39 PM
Owner

There are two memorial funds in Vera's name:
Best Friends Animal Society
5001 Angel Canyon Road
Kanab UT 84741-5000
General information: 435-644-2001
Donation information: donations@bestfriends.org
Donations can be made by phone (435-644-2001 ext. 4801), using an online form, or by mail to the address above.

If you use the online donation form, specify "Memorial for Vera" in the comments field so they will know to acknowledge the gift to Vera's family.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society: Greater Sacramento Area Chapter
2143 Hurley Way, Suite 110
Sacramento, CA 95825-3299
Donations can be made by phone (916-929-4720 or 800-410-8170) or by mail to the address above.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 07:25 PM

Vera

I attended Vera's Celebration of Life today. It was a beautiful ceremony and was filled with the many people whose life Vera had touched. I talked to Dennis about the large group of on-line friends who Vera has influenced with her strength and positive spirit.

Dennis shared some more information on the circumstances surrounding Vera's death, that I know Vera would want to share...

Vera contracted pneumonia from an unknown source. Three days later, she was hospitalized. Her immune system was fighting it, but unfortunately, the GVHD also kicked in. It couldn't differentiate the good cells from the bad and started to attack over 60% of her healthy lungs.

Please be careful all post-transplant people!
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I had faith that Vera was going to pull through this. To read this news is so disheartening. I am to procede with a transplant in 6-7 weeks and now all I can think about is leaving my family behind...much too soon!
My prayers go out to Vera and her family.
Jill
Jill, do not be discouraged. Vera would definitely NOT want you to be. She was always so positive and upbeat. Hang in there. My young friend (age 21) who had his transplant in June is doing great. He goes to school, is in ROTC, and works! That is maybe too much, but he is determined to have his life. You will do great. Keep us informed about what is going on with you.