Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 05:50 PM

hello ..back from doc..appt

well we just got back from the doctor, Pierre seem,s to be ok ..his counts are down a bit...he,s had a few small infections..but they cleared up..thank god.
his counts are...WBC-3.6-RBC-3.95-plaquettes-41...so we are still hanging in there...and waiting..what for I,m not sure...we have our ups and downs... but we have each other...still praying for you all ...take care.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:16 PM

Smile Hello

Hope you are finding a lot of information and help on this site. You didn't mention what your husband Neu. count is or his HGB. Hope all goes well with him. Our prayers are with you........Dot/wife of Kert
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 08:22 AM

Thanks

Can you tell me what is ...neu... and hgb..counts...and I will check when we go back to the doc.TY..god bless
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

The "Neu. count" that Dot refers to is the "neutrophil count" or "ANC" (absolute neutrophil count). The ANC is calculated from measurements of the total number of white blood cells (WBC) and the numbers of neutrophils and bands, which are subsets of the total number of white blood cells. These numbers may be on your Complete Blood Count report if it includes an analysis of the components of the white cells, which is a called a Differential Blood Count. Neutrophils are a type of white blood cell that fights against infection.

Here is the formula for calculating ANC:
ANC= (% of neutrophils + % of bands) x WBC

A normal ANC is above 1500. Generally, a patient with an ANC less than 500 is at significant risk of infection. MDS patients often have low white cell counts and therefore tend to have low ANCs as well. You should ask the doctor about your ANC and, especially if it is low, ask about dietary and other guidelines to follow to limit your risk of infection.

In the U.S. we tend to focus more on the Hemoglobin (HGB) count rather than the "RBC" or Red Blood Cell count, but both are good measures of how the patient is doing. A very good explanation of blood cell counts is available from the National Institutes of Health.

Regards,
Ruth
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 10:50 AM

hi ruth

Thank you for the info....I will talk to the doctor ...This is so hard to understand...I,m always looking on the internet , and here.I don,t no why but it seems like a safe place...I will let you no what the doc. says ...and ty again..always praying for you all...god bless..