Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 08:56 AM

Wink I'm running my first half marathon!

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I just wanted to share that I'm running my first half-marathon race (13mi/21km) in Paris on 4 March. I've run a few 10km races since my transplant, but this'll be my first at this much longer distance.

I'll be somewhere between 2.5-3 years post transplant at the point of the race, and it's been a huge point of pride for me that I'm now running FASTER and FARTHER than I ever could before I became ill, even though I was a runner then, too. And so many people in my amazing running group aren't even aware I was ever ill - I've moved up to the 2nd fastest group alongside people who've been healthy their whole lives.

So wish me luck, and I'll post my time and photos after we get back. I'm really hoping for sub 1:50 since I'm doing the distance in ~1:53 in training, but I'll be happy with anything under 2 hours really!

I still remember what it was like to have no blood and be light-headed at the top of a flight of stairs, so every run is a celebration for me, of how far I've come.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
Owner

Thanks for letting us know. It's inspiring to hear about your ever-faster races, and now a longer race. A trip to Paris sounds nice too.

We'll hold you to your promise to give us a report after the half-marathon.

If I may ask, how do you decide who to tell your medical background to?
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:17 PM

You go girl and good luck on your run.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:23 PM

Good luck! Do you believe that you are performing at a higher level now because you are stronger mentally? I am an athlete too, and had to withdraw from playing in my sport competitively.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
Thanks for letting us know. It's inspiring to hear about your ever-faster races, and now a longer race. A trip to Paris sounds nice too.
Yeah that was an easy sell to my husband: "How would you like a long weekend in Paris?" "...standing around for several hours for the 5 seconds I run past?" :/

Quote:
We'll hold you to your promise to give us a report after the half-marathon.
Consider it held!

Quote:
If I may ask, how do you decide who to tell your medical background to?
Well, in my running group there are 150+ people, but we split up into groups of 15-20 based on pace. So sometimes it comes up when I chat to people, but they tend to be most excited that I live on a boat, so that tends to be the conversation hog! I imagine the leader will bring it up after the race when I get my medal and time announced to the group - there's another guy who runs with us who was in a coma two years ago from being hit by a car, and he's running his first half marathon on the same day as me, too. If the two of us don't have the place in tears, I'll be amazed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGOLF View Post
Good luck! Do you believe that you are performing at a higher level now because you are stronger mentally?
Well, it's hard to say whether it's the experience of the transplant or just ageing in general, but running is SUCH a mentally-driven sport that older runners tend to do really well anyway as we get a bit tougher with age I think. I know plenty of folks running marathons in their 50s, 60s, and even older so hopefully I've got a lot of years left in me yet, even with my dodgy knees.

I think the transplant experience has certainly toughened me against physical pain, so I like to think I'm able to push past the tired/pain/endurance barrier better than I used to. You know, little mind games like telling yourself "C'mon, what's another 5km, at least you CAN, remember the months you yearned to run but couldn't??" etc. I find my problem has always been more the opposite - knowing when to take a taper week and go easy on myself.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)

Last edited by squirrellypoo : Tue Feb 14, 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: missing quote tag
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 06:06 PM

Good luck, Melissa, and remember to enjoy and have fun!
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 02:31 PM

That is very cool... I feel like when I have the chance to play my sport, I enjoy it so much more and def don't take it for granted now. Has def changed my attitude, which in turn makes it more enjoyable which then boosts me to play better. I feel like all of the things we go through is just a blessing in disguise because it helps us realize how good we had it before, and when we are treated and able to go back to what we do, we never take it for granted anymore
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 07:39 AM

Thumbs up

We are very proud of with you.
Have a good luck..
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 06:33 AM

Thanks everyone!!

I do my long run on Saturdays, and here's my current Saturday route along the Thames if you fancy a peek. Though looking at the map now, I'm tempted to go one bridge further tomorrow...
Old Sat Feb 18, 2012, 03:49 PM

That is awesome Melissa. Wishing you your personal best on this!!!!
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 12:32 PM

Woo Hoo Melissa! You are an inspiration to many of us! That is a long run but I'm confident you will give it your all. Be sure to post pictures. The trip to Paris would be nice too!
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)
Old Thu Mar 1, 2012, 06:39 AM

Last night was my last run before the race (a special Nike Leap Day run by the London Eye, no less!), and we leave for Paris tomorrow!

I just wanted to say thanks for all the good luck, and also add that if you're awake on Sunday at 10-12am Paris time (that's 4-6am Eastern) and are a twitter or dailymile user, if you reply to my post which says "Runmeter will speak your comments", then I'll actually hear your words of encouragement spoken into my ear during the race! Tres hypercool!
Old Tue Mar 6, 2012, 06:35 AM

This is my favourite photo my husband took on Sunday, this was at about 16km in:

More race photos here

I was hoping to maaaaaaybe crack 1hr50min if I had a really good day, but I ended up finishing in 1:47:12!!! OMG. All the times were printed in L'Equipe yesterday so it's there in black and white next to my name!

I'm so pleased that I finally cracked my pacing - I found my golden pace about 2km in and just locked onto it, and it felt great to catch up to, then pass, the 1:50 pace team about 14km in. Around 16-17km I passed a team of guys pulling their friend in a modified wheelchair trike, and I nearly burst into tears as I applauded them. It made me think of everyone at Marrowforums and how far I'd come and how incredibly lucky I am to be running at all, so I just wanted you all to know that I was thinking of you in Paris. I also chose to run with my Anthony Nolan Trust vest under my jacket for courage and good luck.

I'm still a bit sore today, but it was all worth it!!

Last edited by squirrellypoo : Tue Mar 6, 2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old Tue Mar 6, 2012, 11:02 AM

Congratulations!

OMG for sure, Melissa! That is fantastic, a great time in every sense. I've saved your pics. I'm grinning from ear to ear just looking at them. What an inspiration you are for all of us. How long are you in Paris?
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Tue Mar 6, 2012, 01:35 PM

Congrats!

Congratulations!!! That's so awesome, you are an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing and keep running!
Old Wed Mar 7, 2012, 01:21 AM

This is amazing.Best time is important for you.And what will be your target time)
Congratulations.