Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Fri Feb 3, 2012, 02:25 PM

New port/what a night mare

Hi Everyone:

Well, the new port is in and it works beautifully, but what a nightmare, for such a kinda simple surgery. I should have know, with me it never goes as planned. First off, I had to have one unit of platletts, before surgery. Then, they get in there and the old port is a part of my body. Pull, tugging, cutting, ect. Then, a piece broke off they shaved me, cut me, and went in thru the groan to get it. Thank God, it did not go to my heart or lungs, let alone up towards the brain. They sent me home with no pain medicine. By 2am. I had all I could take. Called the Surgeon, he tells me its going to be sore, i said sore is not the word I would use, by this time I am in tears. Call my oncologists, they send me to the ER. I am as red as an apple, swollen to look like a hump-back. I wait almost 3hrs., while the nurse digs and blows every vein I have left. My armn is black and blue, the size of a baseball bat. Can't get blood, so she ask the Doctor about using my right are, which by the way, has no lymph nodes. He tells he to use it, that was an OLD WIVES TALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. So, she proceeeds to put in the IV and take blood. I never had anything hurt that bad, and it was a great vein. Still not suppose to touch it. But 3 hrs of crying and being a pin cushion, I got my morphine, which I am not suppose to have. The same idiot of a Doctor that said, use her right arm, said they had not dilated or demerol, have you ever.
Went to see my Oncologist, since I didn't get out of ER until 8:50am. Needlessly to say, he wasn't very happy. Cleaned up, accessed it and gave me some more morphine, since I didn't have an adverse reaction to it. Gave me something to help sleep, I went home and crashed. WHAT A 72HRS. Start 2nd round of Vidaza, Monday morning, hopefully this next 9days go without anything happening. Thank you everyone for your support.

GOD BLESS
Anne
Old Fri Feb 3, 2012, 03:45 PM

GOD BLESS YOU!!!!

You poor thing.....somehow being in the ER never seems to go fast enough....it should be called the "we'll get to you as soon we can" room!

So sorry about your ordeal.....rest as much as you can and I hope the next week goes better for you!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Fri Feb 3, 2012, 08:43 PM

Cheri

How About The When we feel like it room!!!!!!!!!!!!!\\\

Thanks, that is excatly what I did, Now I start round 2 of 4,9dys,wk-Sat. &Sun off. With new port it is going to be much nicer, no more picks. Just hope I do as well as last time except 5days out of 9 were rough to real rough. Hope a little less fatique, not as much of the light headedness, keep blood pressure up and pluse down. We'll see. MY PRAYERS ARE ALL OUT THERE FOR YOU GUYS. THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT. tHIS ROAD IS BEGINING TO GET A LITTLE SCARY. bEGINNING TO GATHER MYSELF UP, NEED TO GET THAT GALLIEN STRENGHT BACK (MY MOMS MAIDEN NAME AND IT IS NATIVE AMERICAN AND ROMAN. MOM ALWAYS TOLD ME GERT THAT GALLIEN STUBORN TEMPER AND DO GOOD WITH IT YOU DO NO GIVE UP. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE BLESSINGS.

God Bless
Anneg
Old Fri Feb 3, 2012, 10:19 PM
Owner

Anne,

I'm so sorry to hear what you had to go through. That was awful.

I don't think you need to summon more strength. You've just shown us how much you already have.
Old Sat Feb 4, 2012, 01:44 PM

Red face reply to ER Night Mare

Hey Neil:

Thanks so very much for that. You of all people, as well as everyone on this forum, KNOWS HOW MUCH IT IS APPRECIATED AND HOW MUCH NEED THAT IS. Again, thank you so very much.

GOD BLESS

Anne
Old Sat Feb 4, 2012, 03:26 PM

Anne...

Sounds like a very a-typical experience that you had.... I'm so sorry.... ! What a mess....

This disease is often a roller coaster ride.. one minute you feel encouraged and them BAM !! My guess is things will get better for you real soon... or at least that is my prayer for you ...

Ann
Old Sat Feb 4, 2012, 06:40 PM

Dear Anne,
It's amazing to read what some people have endured on this site - and you have had your share for sure.
I second what Neil said - and he always has a way of putting things so eloquently which adds to the comfort he conveys.
I wish you the best!
God Bless,
Sally
Old Wed Feb 8, 2012, 12:14 PM

Smile Leo

If in the future you need to go to the ER, call the fire dept and go by their ambulance. It will get you attended to quicker. I know this isn't much advice but every little bit helps.
Old Wed Feb 8, 2012, 07:42 PM

Smile Thank You Everyone

Thank you everyone. You thoughts and prayers were and are very graciously appreciated. Things are going better, I guess. Started 2nd round Vidaza. Three days in, and have to go to hosptial at 8am for a blood transfusion. my counts are; wbc 3.3, rbc 2.32, hgb 7.2, plt 68. So onward and upward we go. Again, Thank You to Everyone.

God Bless

Anne