Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 02:06 PM

Meaning of Blood work???????

Hi, I'm trying to figure out and decifer my mom's blood work. I've been looking on the internet but I haven't found anything that makes any sense to me. I always come back here because you all know more than anyone and you always have to correct answer!!

Here are the things I'm wondering about and her counts....

WBC Est 3.7 Lymph 35.9 Band 1.3 RBC 2.42

Then there are the letters like aH and RaH in the RBC collum and RCL and R in the platelet collum. As always, any info is so very much appreciated!!
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 05:16 PM

Hi Grifmat,
Maybe this link will help answer some of your questions. Also if you do a search on "blood work" it will come up with many links to explanations about blood work.
http://www.newportnaturalhealth.com/...g-blood-tests/
God Bless,
Sally
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 07:13 PM

Thank you so much. I checked out the link you gave me and it had a wealth of knowledge. I had been looking all over for something that gave me a basic answer that I can understand. This link was perfect.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:56 PM

Cool Meaning of blood work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally C View Post
Hi Grifmat,
Maybe this link will help answer some of your questions. Also if you do a search on "blood work" it will come up with many links to explanations about blood work.
God Bless,
Sally
Hi Sally, The website you posted is a good site, thanks for the insight! I'm fairly new to this forum, but have found some very helpful information from the wonderful people on this forum. I have a question for anyone who would like to answer it; my blood counts have been slowly declining, after being 6 yrs out from chemotherapy for breast cancer.
My oncologist has been concerned but has just put me in a wait and see mode. He did a blood smear a week ago and I was wondering how accurate they are to see early signs of bone marrow damage? I have only been diagnosed with chronic anemia for now. I can handle where I'm at right now with fatigue and bruising easily.
CBC's show low RBC at 3.99 range 4.04-5.48; Low Hct 33.8 range 37.7-47.9; Low HGB 11 range 12.2-16.2; Low WBC 4.4 range 4.6-10.2; High RDW 15.3 range 11.6-14.8; Low PLT 151 range 142-424; High Lym% 56.2 range 10.0-50.0; Low granulocytes 1.7 range 2.0-7.8; Low MCHC 30.7 range 31.8-35.4; MCV is ok. All these numbers keep inching down except for RDW and LYM% keep inching up. Thank goodness they are not crashing though.
Any input would be appreciated! Overall I can't complain.

God Bless!
K Dance
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 06:59 PM

Hi K Dance,
I'm glad the link was of help to you. Lord knows we all need as much reference material as we can get our hands on.
I really don't have the knowledge that others have to comment on your blood work. I'm sure they will post to try to help you.
It is my understanding though that the only way to really know what's going on is to do a bone marrow biopsy. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I do know - if they aren't crashing that's always a good thing.
I wish you well and trust that others will answer some of your questions.
God Bless,
Sally
Old Tue Jul 2, 2013, 02:00 PM

A thousand thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally C View Post
Hi Grifmat,
God Bless,
Sally
This is just exactly what I had hoped for, don't know the words to say how much this helps. Sally, thank you.

It is my sister who has SAA, we are a 6:6 match and I have donated stem cells for the transplant, she is going to be admitted on Friday, and the actual transplant will take place on July 12, 2013.

It's been a bit daunting because in all the pages and forums everybody knows all the shortforms and what is a good count or not, and I was missing out on so much of the discussion. So glad I'll be able to keep up now, thanks again.
Old Tue Jul 2, 2013, 04:56 PM

Dear StarlaDudek,
You are so welcome. I am so glad it is what you were looking for. You are right about all of this being so confusing and daunting! It does take time to get used to the lingo. And it's an ongoing education to say the least. If there are things that people mention that you don't understand, they are always willing to explain and help you out - all you need to do is ask. There is a wealth of knowledge on the forums!
I wish you and your sister well. Please keep us posted.
God Bless,
Sally