Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 09:15 PM

Question Bone Marrow Biopsy Fear

My hematologist wants me to have a bone marrow biopsy because my white blood cell and platlet count are very low. He does not offer any type of twilight sedation for the procedure. Does anyone no a hematologist in Arkansas or Oklahoma that offers some sort of twilight sedation because this procedure scares the heck out of me.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 03:43 PM

Scared...understand

Yep, I know the feeling. A tooth extraction without novocaine sounded more fun.

So when it finally happened. Twice in Sept. It didn't seem that bad.

Do I have any advise? Sure. I played calming relaxing music on my ipod throughout both proceedures....the staff didn't mind at all.

I kept my eyes open and focused outside my body. If you have ever done relaxation exercises, they can help. Finally I used the training I had from natural childbirth classes. Which is somewhat of a relax and let go philosophy.

So I hope it goes well for you. SEnding good thoughts.
Carol, age 75, diagnosed with MDS 9/2012, on wait and watch, recently had blood values drop probably due to Arimixdex, values coming back, but still serious fatigue, recent bone marrow text showed only 2% blasts
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 06:48 PM

Some people find them very painful and others don't have much pain at all. I think there are different factors coming into play including the technique of the person doing the BMB, the site of the BMB, the pain tolerance and the degree of anxiety.

I didn't like the BMB without sedation but they weren't as painful as you are probably imagining. Relaxation and visualization (kind of like self hypnosis) worked for me. I would visual myself lying in the grass on the side of a lake under the shade of a willow tree and then imagine the sights and sounds there would be. I would imagine a birds call and then try to visual what the bird looked like, then I would watch imaginary dragonflies on the water etc. If the BMB starting hurting I would turn that into part of my daydream and make it seem as if I was being stung by a bee or I was lying on a stick etc.

Sometimes I would be so involved in my daydream that I would get a fright when I realized where I was and what was happening

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Sun Oct 14, 2012, 09:28 PM

I have had several biopsies and they are not that bad. There is a BRIEF period of pain but is very quick. I took adivan and/or lorazepam to calm my nerves before each. I think the anxiety is the worst part of it. Most Docs will give you a light sedative to take that morning. (My hospital does anyway.) You will be ok! Hugs..
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)