Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits Your finances, insurance, job issues, and veterans benefits

Old Sun Oct 28, 2012, 04:28 PM

Supplemental Part D

I am still on watch and wait so hopefully far from needing meds for MDS but I am wondering about insurance. I am on Medicare part A and B. I have a supplemental B and a supplemental D for drugs. I haven't checked into what my Part D company covers but I am curious about how commonly these companies cover the more expensive meds like Azacytidine (sp?). Anyone dealt with this already? My Part D carrier is very good at not paying for expensive meds.
Carol, age 75, diagnosed with MDS 9/2012, on wait and watch, recently had blood values drop probably due to Arimixdex, values coming back, but still serious fatigue, recent bone marrow text showed only 2% blasts
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 11:59 PM

Sorry one else has responded...no personal experience here with Part D and don't know your plan, but for most insurance providers, there is a "formulary" online where the covered drugs are listed.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2012, 02:28 AM
Owner

We are in the Medicare "open enrollment period" from now until December 7. That's when you can switch plans if you find a better one.

The tools Medicare offers on their website will let you search for plans that cover specific drugs. I suggest that you go to the Medicare Plan Finder, look for Vidaza coverage in your zip code, and see what choices you find.