Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits Your finances, insurance, job issues, and veterans benefits

Old Fri Apr 18, 2014, 10:12 AM

Unhappy Seeking help in Georgia

Hi, My son was diagnosed with Severe Aplastic Anemia 2 years ago and has had 2 bone marrow transplants since August of 2012, the most recent being on April 30th 2013. He received a wish from the make-a-wish foundation to meet his idol Derrick Rose from the Chicago Bulls on April 3-April 6 which was last weekend. We came back late Sunday evening of the 6th while we were in Chicago, my son had received back monies from Social Security and I proceeded to pay for March and April to get caught up the following Monday morning April 7th 2014 and was told that they could not accept rent monies from us any more because we were always late ever since my son relapsed last year. our only income is his social security which is $320 a month. my unemployment ended in july of last year as well as my child support because the father of both my kids had a head injury last year and has been in a rehab hospital in an infantile state. I was forced to resign in 2012 as a result of my son's illness. We live in Stockbridge, GA and our only car had died as a result of having to drive back and forth to the eglestons and the ronald mcdonald house where i had to physically stay at with my son during the early stages of transplant. I have been trying to find a place to stay but it has been hard as i have no transportation and i am limited to the other surrounding complexes around me.

A retired reporter that has a facebook page called the black files cartoon did an interview with my family to try and share our story. It has been posted on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OXFE...fi7cATnxzEVy8g

This is my son's facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/JohnJohnsJourney

Aside from going to the media outlets in my area, does anyone have any suggestions or resources that I have not thought of yet?

Thank you in advance and God bless you for whatever kind of help you can give us!!!!
Old Fri Apr 18, 2014, 02:20 PM
Owner

It must be hard splitting your time between caring for your son, caring for the rest of your family, and trying to solicit help. It's a good idea to use social media to ask for help since the word can spread quickly.

The video says that you wrote a book. is that correct? Feel free to post a link here.

Have you looked at all possible state assistance programs?

This site has a list of Resources, some of which offer financial assistance, and perhaps transportation assistance. And those groups can probably refer you to other groups that might be able to help.
Old Fri Apr 18, 2014, 08:00 PM

So glad you posted here. I went to the sites and made a donation. I'll try to follow the situation and try to donate again. I hope you get a good response so you can get around better. And I hope your son gets all the treatment available to him. There must be local ways to get help. Good luck.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 06:12 PM

Here's another option for you. I worked with a local family and we launched a t-shirt drive. There are several companies that will let you upload your image and they won't charge you up front for the shirts.

www.tfund.com
www.booster.com
(and I think there are a few more)

For instance, I believe the last drive we held sold around 100 shirts and they made around 1000$ ( this was through cafe press).

If you are interested, and want some help, let me know. I can help out with graphics, or just answer questions. It does take a few weeks to run a campaign and get the profits, but it can help.