Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits Your finances, insurance, job issues, and veterans benefits

Old Sun Dec 4, 2016, 02:10 PM

what doe soc sec review mean?

Hi,
my husband diagnosed with AML got disability but on the letter it said there was a review in 6 months? Is that a hearing, or just looking at medical records etc?

If he has completed a bmt does he still have aml? If any of you have experience please share.

The clinical social worker seems to think it is no big deal but never explains.
Old Sun Dec 4, 2016, 02:14 PM

Is this for the VA? Have they assigned a disability rating?
Old Sun Dec 4, 2016, 08:52 PM

Social security

Hi,
no this is the basic social security disability. So ffar they have been very helpful but a review after 6 mo seems odd
Old Wed Dec 7, 2016, 09:42 AM

I worked in the field of Social Security disability insurance and SSI for over 4 years, up until a couple of years ago, and I got disability myself "as of age 55" until I qualified for old age benefits earlier this year.

A review after 6 months is fairly standard, especially if a bone marrow transplant is being contemplated. The Administration reviews the latest medical records and generally rubber-stamps them if there is no change. It sends out a short questionnaire (I've received those; it's on the nature of "do you still see Dr. So-and-So? If so, what is your current diagnosis?") and you just answer that and send it back. I never had my benefits terminated due to that or to a review.

Whether a person still gets disability after a successful BMT is determined on a case-by-case basis. We had a client who had Hodgkin's Disease - and a football-sized mass in his chest. That was removed and he was treated. He was only 23 years old and was working on a master's degree at the time. One year out from the treatment, we attempted to obtain a "closed period of disability" for him, for the year and a half he lost in being treated for this, and we were successful. The administrative law judges determine eligibility for disability after treatment by considering the testimony at the hearing - if there is one - of the vocational expert. Are there any jobs in the local economy that this person can perform according to his skill set? Can he work full-time? Part-time?

I hope some of this makes sense... I wish you and your husband well!

Margaret