Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 08:18 AM

Talking 3 years after my BMT, I just ran a marathon!

Some of you may remember that I was a runner before I became ill with hypo-MDS in late 2008, and that I've run a few races since my transplant in 2009, but this weekend was BIG milestone for me, one I never ever thought I'd achieve, illness or not.

It was my first marathon, and some of you may be thinking “oh, but she runs, I’m sure it was no problem for her”. Think again – that distance is no joke! I’d done all my training and got three 20 milers in, but it was still really tough. And up until this year, I’d never raced farther than a 10km, so keep in mind that this is four times that distance!

It was my absolute perfect running weather – cold, cloudy, and with a hint of drizzle, and I was nervous, but as ready as I’d ever be. I’d wanted to finish in under 4 hours, but my “gold medal” time was 3:45, and to achieve that I’d need to run at 5:20min/km throughout (that’s 8:35min/mi). So I started off at my “easy” pace, which ended up being 5:05min/km, and that felt good. I was a freaking machine, maintaining that up through about 28km, when it started to feel tough, and I slowed down considerably from 30-40km, just keeping the momentum going and counting down every single km marker. I had two cheering zones from my running crew on the course, but my GPS running app, Runmeter, lets my Dailymile and Twitter friends speak comments into my ear while I run, so I had cheers of encouragement from about 30 different friends from all around the world, including some who’d gotten up at 3:30am to cheer me on! I cannot stress enough how much this helped me to carry on during that stretch of 10km when it was a real struggle.

But at the 40km mark, we turned the corner out of Vondelpark, and I passed where I was staying and I knew it was only a short 2km to the finish, and that gave me the boost I needed to pick up the pace again, and – I’m still not sure where this came from – but I even managed a sprint finish into the Olympic stadium to finish in 3:48:23!! Which, umm, I’m stupidly happy with.

As long as they don’t change the rules, it means I should qualify for a Good for Age entry into London 2014, which is otherwise impossible to get into. I hobbled back to my running crew’s hospitality zone for recovery shakes and hugs, then back to where I was staying for an ice bath (my host brought me tea and chocolate truffles to make it easier! Bless!), which I really think did help with my recovery. I had a few spots of chafing and two enormous blisters on my toes, all in brand-new places, but I was otherwise intact.

At the start of the race, I was really choking back tears, thinking of how far I've come, and all the people who weren't as lucky in the transplant draw as I'd been. I thought of everyone here who are still fighting, and those friends like Vera, Rob, and David, who'd lost the fight. I wanted to share my latest story update with everyone here to give hope that you really can emerge from this a stronger person, in body and mind and spirit. Keep on fighting.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 08:31 AM

That is great and inspiring for all of us.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
Owner

You're still our poster girl, Melissa. We love hearing about your successes.

When patients talk about going the distance and looking back at how far they've come, it's usually figurative. For you it's also a literal statement of your racing accomplishments!
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 05:47 PM

Wow!! That is fantastic. Congrats.

Scott
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:55 AM

This is so cool to see! Congratulations!
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 04:22 AM

That is awesome!! You are an inspiration!!
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 06:03 PM

Woot! Awesome accomplishment!!
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2012, 10:12 AM

Smile Amazing!!!

Melissa,

To run a marathon is an accomplishment for anyone to complete. Your feat is truly remarkable.
Thanks for sharing!!!
Female, age 52 - Diagnosed May, 2011 Hypoplastic MDS. Cytogenetics showing 2 abnormalities on chromosome 15. Blasts<5%, IPSS of 1. All blood counts low, but no treatment; watch and wait. Registered for MUD; on Feb. 23/12 two donor matches found but returned since not needed yet!
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 12:09 PM

Melissa,

You are absolutely amazing but nothing you do will ever amaze me ;-) - I don't think there's anything you couldn't do that you put your mind to! Thanks for being such an inspiration!!!

Karen
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 09:09 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm really looking forward to my medal ceremony with my running crew tonight. My mom & dad are over from the States so they'll be there, too.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)