Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 07:34 AM

Temperature Control

Depending on what scoring system you use, Dave has intermediate to high risk MDS; but his most recent BMB earlier this month showed blasts still below 6%. Was hospitalized at that time trying to diagnose the reason for his intermittent fevers and general malaise. After extensive testing, it was determined that his fevers are a symptom of his disease and not an infection. He started Vidaza at the beginning of the month and was scheduled to start round 2 next week. Just a few days ago he began running a fever again, and after another trip to the ER (to be on the safe side), with no sign of an infection his doc suggested moving up his next round of chemo by a week (which we are starting today). It seems the further we got away from treatment the more apt he was to run a fever. In addition to this he occasionally has shaking chills (but no fever). Has anyone run into these types of symptoms before - just an intermittent lack of body temperature control?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 10:15 AM

Yes, I have had the same " lack of body temperature control". This has ranged from nighttime sweats (with no fever) to the shaking chills. Almost all the time these feelings did not last long and while uncomfortable did not reach a serious level.
Old Wed Mar 1, 2017, 12:44 AM

I was diagnosed with MDS in 2010, but did not go forward with transplant until February 2014. In the time prior to transplant, I did not really have any temperature regulation issues, but have had them ever since. My feet can go from freezing cold in the way they feel and to the touch, to burning hot within a few minutes.

As for your husband's situation, I have read many posts about undiagnosed fevers, usually associated with low white blood cell counts. I think you might see it listed as neutropenic fever.

I hope that the Vidaza helps stabilize his counts and provide him with some relief from the temperature fluctuations.

Dan
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.