Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 05:48 PM

Smile Lenalidomide

This week the Australian Government approved Lenalidomide (Revlimid) on the PBS for Del 5q patients. This is wonderful news as the government will now pay for the drug.

I found this video on an ecancer education website on Lenalidomide which I found helpful. It discussed a study on the effect of Lenaliomide on MDS Del 5q patients.

After 3.5 years of being on Revlimid, it's good that there is more information and trial results on MDS Del 5q, especially for those newly diagnosed.

http://ecancer.org/conference/147-eh...mds-del-5q.php

Cheers
Rachael
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 06:36 PM

Hi, Rachael.

Did you know that Vidaza was approved by the TGA, then went to the PBAC and was approved but sat lingering in red tape Government Land for 3 years before it was added to the PBS. That's the reason I had to pay for my own Vidaza. I was told Celgene was limiting compassionate use availability so the Government would be pressured into adding it to the PBS and conversely, the government wasn't approving it hoping Celgene would bear more of the cost themselves.

During that 3 years, imagine how many people died without hope. The same with Revlimid.

There has to be a better way for large drug companies and Governments to work these things out besides this passive aggressive negativity.

I hope this new Government gives these working parties a kick up the backside.

Chirley
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 06:53 PM

I have just been told the good news. It will be interesting to see what the qualification requirements are.

Well done and a big thank you to those MDS patients in Australia who campaigned hard to get this approved. I am sure that you played a part in this.

Honey
Dx June 2013 MDS del 5q and 7t. Further chromosone changes August 2017. Lenolidomide and 10 months on Azacytadine failed. Transition to AML August 2018 failed induction chemo. Trial drug FT2101 failed at 6 months. Next on Venetoclax with cytoterabine.