Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 08:36 AM

FDA warning about OTC diarrhea drug

This imported anti-diarrhea OTC drug (intestinomicina) contains the antibiotic chloramphenicol which was pulled off the US market years ago because it causes SAA. A few years back, it was also used in shrimp farming in China to help control the growth of bacteria on shrimp imported into the US.

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/ap/fd...-diarrhea-drug
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 04:42 PM

Before there were strict controls placed on chicken farming we used to use it regularly in the water for the chickens to promote growth and prevent infections. That was many, many years ago and the industry in Australia is now very strictly controlled and monitored.

My parents had a poultry farm for 25 years and grew approximately 140,000 chickens every 7 to 8 weeks. We ate those chickens ourselves too and that was a lot of drugs to be exposed to. We also used to wash the chicken sheds between batches with formaldehyde with no skin or lung protection. How gullible we were to believe the company we grew the chickens for when they told us we HAD to do these things and that it was safe!

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 08:20 AM

That is very scary Chirley. I cannot imagine using formaldehyde to clean anything. The smell alone would knock me out.

I am so sorry you and your family were exposed to such dangers. When we hear of these contaminations of our food and drugs, we mostly think of the impact on our own health. You never really hear about the impact on the workers who are exposed to much larger doses every day. The latest food safety alarm in the USA is arsenic levels in rice. Apparently rice grown in our country has some of the highest levels of arsenic.

It becomes harder and harder to have trust in the companies and our FDA these days when it comes to the safety of many of the chemicals in use today. I err on the side of caution and avoid what I can.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 12:26 PM

Hazardous Chemicals

Remember that OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) is also a major government agency in the US to protect workers.

All work places must keep MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets)on all chemicals used. If you are asked to work with chemicals, you should always ask to read it. An ethical company will always tell employees that they MUST read it.

The level of hazardous chemicals in work place air is also regulated by OSHA. Unfortunately industry profits sometimes come before worker safety.

But for those of us in or 60's or older, these regulations did not come about until late in the 1970s.

Unfortunately, one political party plans to gut all regulations to protect the public and workers to stimulate jobs. Not to be political but it is an issue.

Another suggestion you can visit the FDA website and they will email you when new product recalls or safety issues occur. It is free.
Carol, age 75, diagnosed with MDS 9/2012, on wait and watch, recently had blood values drop probably due to Arimixdex, values coming back, but still serious fatigue, recent bone marrow text showed only 2% blasts
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 01:33 PM

Good point Carol. We used to play with mercury as kids. Now, if one drop is spilled in a school, they close it down to do the clean up.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 11:57 PM

Hello All;
Just as a bit of information here - and I don't know the medical reason why it works - but is does - with any type of diarrhea. Pure Blackberry Wine - made from blackberries - not blackberry flavored white wine. If you are just having a bout of minor diarrhea - take about 2 ounces and sip it down. You may have to repeat the dose once or twice within a 4 hour period, and of course - not drive at all. We always have a bottle of Maneschevitz (?sp) on hand. My gram used to give it to us when we were kids - and it has always worked. Sure does taste better than an immodium type product too! Now - I am not advocating that brand - it's just the one we have used for generations.
When I did geriatric home care and hospice - it was one of the things that really helped the clients.
Beth