Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Apr 3, 2013, 03:16 PM

#2 donor steps up

We're still reeling from the fact that my H's donor backed out. But the good news is #2 donor has stepped up to the plate.

The coordinator tells us that #2 is 100% committed to donating - he's 50 yrs old - same blood type too. Thats about all I know right now. The induction chemo and transplant is now pushed ahead to April 15th and the transplant to happen on the 22nd. He'll be at Jeanes Hospital in Philadelphia.

Dennis has to go for some blood work tomorrow and also to check his counts - which hopefully have not changed in the past two weeks. He was scheduled to have a 5th round of chemo at the end of March - but because of the close date of the induction chemo (April 8th) the dr said to forego the last round of vidaza. I really hope everything is ok. Seems there is always something to worry about, isn't there? Of course, now I worry that something will happen to donor #2 - a car accident or something beyond his control that prevents him from donating.

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that the young man would back out this late in the process but I need to let that go and focus on the gentleman who HAS stepped up to the plate.
Kathy, wife of Dennis (58 yrs old) diagnosed October 2012 w/MDS; bone marrow biopsy confirmed significant fibrosis;blast cells of 5%-10% of total cells, high risk refractory anemia w/ excess blasts (RAEB1); 3 cytogenetic markers; +1, -7, and +21
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dennismolyneaux
Old Wed Apr 3, 2013, 03:23 PM

Great news! Absolutely let that other donor go. You have more important issues to focus on now. Good luck with everything. It seems that things are falling into place as they should!
Old Wed Apr 3, 2013, 06:33 PM

that is awesome news! go donor 2!!! good luck!
Old Thu Apr 4, 2013, 08:50 AM

Dear Kathy,
I am a firm believer that when things like this happen, there is a reason and it's the Lord's Hand. I believe one day you'll be thankful that the first donor backed out. Please keep the faith.
God Bless and I wish you both well!
Sally
Old Thu Apr 4, 2013, 03:26 PM

Great news. I am very happy for you and your husband and wish him the best of luck during the transplant process.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 12:26 AM

Kathy, Did your husband have his transplant today? I haven't been on the forums much lately so didn't see your story until today. What a roller coaster with the donors! I had a MUD BMT at Johns Hopkins two and a half years ago. My diagnosis was similar to your husband's, and yes, it hit us like a ton of bricks, too. I wish you both well! I'm doing great. My husband and I have kept a blog of our experiences, linked below. Karen (and Michael)
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com