Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Fri Oct 1, 2010, 03:58 PM

Tacrolimus vs. Cyclosporine

I have been on tacrolimus for 7 months following my ATG treatment. I suffer from side effects including tremors (feel like an 80 year old person with the shakes), slight hair loss, and big time muscle cramping due to deficiency of magnesium;

Someone suggested switching to cyclosporine. What's the consensus of this drug as far as side effects?

Anyone else been on both drugs?
Thanks for any feedback you all can offer!

Last edited by susansr : Fri Oct 1, 2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: misspell
Old Fri Oct 1, 2010, 09:47 PM

I would personally never take CSA over Prograf. I had such severe terrible side effects from the CSA. I hated it. When I switched to Prograf things were so much improved!

Maybe it will be the opposite for you?

Laura
Old Sat Oct 2, 2010, 04:15 PM

I too had horrible side effects on cyclosporine. I took 450mg a day for awhile and then dropped to 400mg a day.

I had hair growth, sensitivity to heat and cold in hands and feet, shaking, terrible mouth sores, joint pain, nausea, you name it.

I am now on 10mg a day of tacrolimus and have slight hair loss and slight shakiness, but that is about it.

I think everybody is different when it comes to tolerating these drugs, if the tac. is making you that miserable then maybe it would be worth trying cyclosporine.

Deb
Old Sat Oct 2, 2010, 04:16 PM

BTW - have you tried taking a magnesium supplement or calcium/magnesium for the muscle cramping?
Old Sun Oct 3, 2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbrown View Post
BTW - have you tried taking a magnesium supplement or calcium/magnesium for the muscle cramping?
I thank all those who shared their opinions. will seriously consider my options.
As for the magnesium problem, I have been taking 1200 mg of mag/day in the form of mag oxide. It turns out I am just not absorbing it so now I'm trying magnesium chloride. I also have had 2 transfusions of mag when I needed RBC transfusions. Getting 4mg intravenously helped the most. But I only get the RBCS 2-3 months which is a good thing but not for the mag problem.

Time will tell. Appreciate everyone's input!!
Old Mon Oct 4, 2010, 01:24 PM

Susan,

Been lurking here for a while while we deal with my husband's "emerging" MDS. He takes magnesium for severe muscle cramping. There are a number of different forms of magnesium supplements which are sold. We have been told by 2 doctors now that Magnesium Glycinate and Magnesium Maleate are best absorbed by the body. Magnesium Glycinate is the one we both take, not widely available as not the cheapest, but it can be obtained mail order.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.