Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Fri May 25, 2018, 03:18 PM

Question

I have MDS and have been receiving Vidaza for 7 months now. 200 Mililiters per day for 7 days. During my 6th cycle last month the nurses noticed that my pulse rate had dropped into the 40's. I called my Dr. and he sent me to a Cardiologist to wear a monitor for 24 hours. The result showed that I have AFib (something I already knew and have been treated for for 5 years and that my heart takes a 3.5 second pause between beats. My Dr. is sending me back to the Cardiologist next week for more tests. He told me to stop taking the medicine I take to control my heart rage for AFib. which I did. When I started my Vidaza cycle this month my heart rate was in the 50's for the 1st 3 days but has since dropped back into the 40's. My Dr. is talking Pacemaker if we cannot get it under control. I do not feel a bit different with AFib or the pausing heart beat.
I guess my question is has anyone else with MDS or who is on Vidaza experienced something similar to this.
thanks
cary
Old Fri May 25, 2018, 09:54 PM

Sorry, I’m not on Vidaza but I have a heart rate in the 40s as well. I’ve been diagnosed with heart failure (mild) and I was started on Lanoxin (for missed beats) but it’s been stopped because it dropped my blood pressure. My Doctor says he’s not worried about the heart rate unless it drops to the 30s. My only symptom is lethargy but there are many reasons why I experience this anyway.

Best of luck.
Old Sat May 26, 2018, 05:47 AM

Hi! I doubt you will need a pacemaker unless you are symptomatic (feel dizzy or drop your BP as well). Well that's my experience working in a cardiac ward. Regardless, if you need a pacemaker I'm sure you will be fine! The procedure is very minor these days. Good luck!
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!
Old Mon Jul 9, 2018, 03:36 PM

2nd Biopsy done in May showed great improvement and I am definitely feeling much better. Have more endurance and am back to working out. Dr. reduced me to 5 days of shots a month as a result. Life is much better. They determined that I just have a slower heart rate so no treatments for that.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2018, 06:58 AM

My husband Roger was diagnosed with AML in April 2018, he is now back to MDS which they think was the cause of AML. He has had one cycle of Vidaza, now he is having issues with low blood pressures and irreg. heartbeats which he didn't have before using Vidaza. He had a heart attack in 2010 which they put a stent in but has been doing okay since then. He has an up coming appt. with cardio and wondering if it would be better to try a different drug that doesn't effect the heart ? He is going okay with Vidaza other then normal side effects. So far blood counts are okay.