Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 12:49 AM

Medications and AA?

::Sigh:: Ok, I'll start with saying I'll do whatever my doctors think best BUT

Do any you have any experience with taking antideppressants or any other types of medication since you have been diagnosed and how they have effected your blood counts?

I know certain antidepressants have a stronger effect on counts than others and I am very concerned because I need to be/they want me to be placed back on them and I would prefer to have accurate blood test results and I can't keep going on and off medications like that, it's not healthy. I hate taking them as it is.

(I'm still waiting for the hemotologist to get back to me with her opinion)

Ok, enough of my rambling...thoughts?
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 01:39 AM

Hi, I have no idea if I was being told a lie, but when I was having all my problems with work my GP said that I had a reactive depression but he said he couldn't give me any anti depressants because they would interfere with my bone marrow. I didn't ask how they interfere, I just knew that I had to change my environment (work) to help ease the stress, anxiety and depression. If you need anti depressants, then, you need them. Just like any other medication the doctor thinks you need.

Best of luck, depression is awful.

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 08:53 PM

reactive depression, meaning you were depressed because it was a reaction to the situation you were facing? Or something else?? (cause I've never heard anyone say reactive depression before)

I am not depressed because of my current situation (so to speak), I have a long history of PTSD and bipolar disorder....but I have been off medication (for another reason) for two years and they (the psychiatrists) think it's time for me to go back on them...but waiting to see what my other drs. think
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 11:25 PM

Hi,

Yes, that's what I meant. My doctor says that I don't have a deep seated clinical depression, more an acute depression caused by my personal cirumstances.

I have a relative with bipolar disorder, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I hope you get the help that you need because it would be awful to go through all that bipolar encompasses without medication. I hope you have someone to support you through this.

Best of luck.

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 07:19 PM

hi there! i thought i'd post an update on my situation.

the psychiatrist and my hematologist had a good heart to heart about my situation and need to be placed on some type of medication.

she completely said any anti-psychotic class of medication (abilify and such) was off the table, it alters the counts too much

she felt so so about the antidepressants but they will not help me...i need a mix of anti psychotics as a mood stabilizer AND antidepressants for them to be effective

enters lithium...not only did she say that would be fine but in some people it actually increases their white cell count so she thought that would be a great choice. and lithium is the historic drug of choice to treat bipolar.

so lithium it is....i'm a bit concerned, but i know something has to change and this medication will help that.

be well

Dee
Old Fri Jul 2, 2010, 03:41 PM

Omega 3's

Dee, have you considered (you might do this already) adding Omega 3's to your diet, it has been shown in studies to help with depression, among other things? I feel it has helped me, I take a Omega 3 and D3 (Vitamin D) supplement. Just was thinking and thought you might like to know...Linda
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2010, 11:27 PM

Hi Linda! Yes, Omega-3's are part of my daily vitamin "pack" as are Citracal-D. If it was just depression i understand there are many nutritional connections -- nutrition effects our body in every way. But I am bipolar and it's much more complex. I can say I started the lithium in April and have been a new person ever since. I think mostly because it gave me normal WBC counts again and I'm not a germ-a-phob LOL. I feel like I got my life back
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 08:44 AM

good to hear

Hi Dee, I'm glad to hear you take the Omega 3's too. I've been reading posts by Peter Lim about it, how it helped his son. Probably the best thing to do would be to eat wild fish, but that's not something I cook in my kitchen very often (p.u.). How were your last counts? Mine were: hgb 9.2, hct 29, wbc 3.3, platelets 74K. What other supplements do you take, if you don't mind me asking? I take Juice Plus, also some Standard Process supplements, and have been getting accupuncture once a week...
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.