Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Sat Aug 22, 2015, 12:05 PM

Jadenu/Exjade

HI - I just started on the iron chelator Jadenu - its a newer and supposedly less toxic version of Exjade - the docs are trying to reduce my iron as I approach a transplant - and to help my heart which is having problems that may at least be partially related to my anemia, blood transfusions (both iron overload and the frequently added volume - The warnings for Jadenu are quite scary - and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with that drug or Exjade - and how long it took to reduce iron overload - and if they experienced any serious side effects.

Thanks
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015
Old Sun Aug 23, 2015, 02:56 PM

There a quite a few post in the iron overload section that have threads on chelation you'll find helpful. Also, do a search for Exjade and it will bring up numerous post on the subject.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Thu Aug 27, 2015, 01:04 PM

Exjade

Hi PaulS,

In India, we get exjade by the name of Asunra, it's manufactured by Novartis, Switzerland so I am assuming the change in name is to lower the cost for the Indian market.
My mother has been on this twice, each time for about 3 months, at the lowest dose prescribed. Both instances, her whites and platelets counts started to drop at a very fast rate. The Novartis patient advisor and the doctor said that this is not a common side effect, but we had this experience both times. Her creatinine and kidney functions remained normal while on it and she had no problem tolerating the drug. Both times, after a few months of discontinuing, her whites and platelet counts have climbed back in the normal range.
As she is transfusion dependent, the iron overload continues to be a worry.

I don't know anything about Jadenu, is it also a Novartis drug?

All the best for your upcoming transplant.