Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Pediatrics
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pediatrics Treatment for juvenile patients

Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 05:47 PM

Cyclosporin dosage

We have recently gone from giving our daughter, Annalyse (age 6), her Cyclo 2x a day to only one. We have been tapering her since May with a steady small increase in counts.
Her current dosage was .45 2x day and we went to .9 once a day. So the same dosage, just all at once. Our Doc, Dr. Maciejewski , is highly respected and I trust his information. He said new studies are showing this to be a more effective distribution. Has anyone heard of this???

As a side note, at her first CBC her platelets dropped a little, from 77 to 61, her HGB went up from 12.1 to 12.5 and her ANC increased from 780 to 2300! It put all her WBC numbers in line %-wise.

Mom to Annalyse, 6 years old
SAA 8/05 PNH 9/05 ATG 9/05 w/Cyclo
Currently in partial remission
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 08:21 PM

Hi Sherri,
We always gave Michelle her CSA until it was no longer an option (when she was down to just one pill a day). It seems like giving it twice a day would keep a more constant level in her body, but what do I know? I am sure Annalyse is happy to only be taking it once a day however.
Suzanne
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 09:30 AM

Hi Suzanne-

Dr. M stated that new studies have shown the dosage to be more constant once a day vs two, due to timing of taking it 2X day. It seems to me to be better 2X a day as well. As much as I want her off this medication, I know we have to take it slow and do it smart! Her ANC took off, however, I am concerned about her platelets. I've seen more bruising and even some petechaie lately. Although Annalyse has always gotten petechaie in the 50's and 60's. She has a BMB tomorrow, so I am waiting and holding my breath!

And yes, Annalyse is thrilled to take it once a day! Thanks for your comments!

Mom to Annalyse, 6 years old
SAA 8/05 PNH 9/05 ATG 9/05 w/Cyclo
Currently in partial remission