Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Fri Jul 8, 2011, 08:29 AM

AA-MRSA-Bactrim

My son developed an infection which was determined to be MRSA. The facility he is in put him on Bactrim. The Drug.com site says you should not give Bactrim to anyone with anemia. Has anyone had any experience with Bactrim as it pertains to AA?
Old Fri Jul 8, 2011, 09:40 AM

John was on bactrim after his treatment until he developed a rash from it. As our doc told us....most, if not all, antibiotics can suppress the bone marrow and can cause AA. Even so, I would ask that they find a safer alternative if possible. We always go for the least offensive antibiotic that will do the job.

MRSA can be pretty stubborn so you may want to research it to find out which antibiotics are effective. I know there are many which it is resistant to and bactrim may be the best choice in the long run.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Jul 8, 2011, 11:26 AM

Johns Hopkins current policy is 12 months Bactrim post bone marrow transplant for prophylaxis. They switched me to Dapsone because high sulfa in Bactrim caused me a rash. These are given to prevent PCP pneumonia post bmt but I know Bactrim is also frequently subscribed for mrsa, even for those who aren't immunocompromised.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Fri Jul 8, 2011, 11:38 AM
Owner

Jody,

Bactrim is very commonly given to aplastic anemia patients. My wife was on it for years. There are dozens and dozens of possible side effects of Bactrim but from what I know its benefits strongly outweigh any possible hematologic effects. I know you have a number of concerns about Trevor's care and this is one I wouldn't worry about.

Only if he has a direct reaction to Bactrim would I expect the doctor to consider switching antibiotics.
Old Fri Jul 8, 2011, 12:51 PM

I was on bactrim for awhile after I had ATG, but I quit taking it with no side effects. 20 yrs ago I did have a reaction to it, for years I thought I was allergic to it. I had a lot of joint pain, but am ok with it now. Dr thinks I had a herxheimer reaction 20 yrs ago. The hematologist did tell me it could lower counts, but everything you take has side effects.

Deb
Old Mon Jul 18, 2011, 11:15 AM

My husband is on Bactrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyW View Post
My son developed an infection which was determined to be MRSA. The facility he is in put him on Bactrim. The Drug.com site says you should not give Bactrim to anyone with anemia. Has anyone had any experience with Bactrim as it pertains to AA?
Jody,

My husband had his 1st ATG in June 2008, and after relapse on 2010, 2nd ATG on June 2010.
His treatment protocol implies an antibiotic as profilactic because ATG and cylosporine are immunosupressive. Since my husband is allergic to penicilin, he is on Bactrim since 2008.
Me, as a nursing teacher, had the same question. But indeed there is no problem.
I wish all the best to your son and you.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 07:46 AM

Thanks everyone , I think I can let go of that fear now. Your responses help more than you know.