Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Fri May 10, 2013, 08:42 PM

Transplant ?

Does anyone feel the same after a transplant as they did before it?

Thanks Blair
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 12:17 PM

What do you mean by that? I am waiting to get off all my meds then I may be able to answer that. I have good days and bad. I am getting more and more better days though...
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 04:56 PM

Will your quality of life be as good after transplant as it was before mds. I know it will be at least a year before anyone would know.

Thanks Blair
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 07:57 PM

I think that's the idea behind doing it in the first place. That's the goal of your team. It might benefit you to ask the transplant Dr. as many questions as you can such as this one. How many of these has this Dr done and what they expect your results should be. I think in your case having a sister that's a perfect match puts you at favorable odds from the get go. Good luck. Ask the Dr's as many questions as you can think of. Any concern you might have.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 07:48 AM

Hopefully the result is that the person receiving the transplant is around for many many years, instead of just months and has a good quality of life.

I can tell you now though, if you decide to go ahead with the transplant you will need to face the challenge head on with an absolutely positive nature as will your caregiver.
Sandi, partner of Paul 62, diagnosed MDS Intermediate 2; July 2012. Pancytopenia, Cytogenetics -7 +8 Chromosomes. Low Blast cell count. Currently on EPO & G-CSF and having great response. MUD found will be admitted to Royal Perth Hospital 27 March 2013 to start SCT process.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 04:06 PM

Absolutely!

Rick has once again the energy he had prior to MDS and transplant has been the best thing for him. A cure. He is now 18 months post transplant!
He is still on sirolimus, his meds have been decreased very very slowly. He has had almost no GVHD. Life is good. Rick was also blessed to have a sister who was a 10/10 match and a care team that is awesome.
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 06:33 AM

Everyone is different, but you can get lucky and be fitter and stronger after the transplant than you were before. I'm 3.5 years post transplant now and even though I was a runner before, I'm far, far fitter now. The longest I'd ever run pre-transplant was 10km, and now I'm running my second marathon on Sunday (eep!). I think going through the transplant has also improved my pain tolerance (obviously), patience, and empathy. I like to think it's made me a better person all around, not just a better runner.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)