Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon May 6, 2013, 08:04 AM

High risk MDS

Are there many people with high risk MDS that don't need transfusions?

Thanks
Old Mon May 6, 2013, 09:25 AM

My partner Paul was diagnosed with hypocellular MDS (upper intermediate 2 to lower high risk) July 2013. All three lines were very low at diagnosis. Shortly after diagnosis his haemo started him on EPO and Neupogen. This kept him transfusion free for 9 months until he went to transplant On 4 April.

What is the driving factor that has given the high risk rating?
Sandi, partner of Paul 62, diagnosed MDS Intermediate 2; July 2012. Pancytopenia, Cytogenetics -7 +8 Chromosomes. Low Blast cell count. Currently on EPO & G-CSF and having great response. MUD found will be admitted to Royal Perth Hospital 27 March 2013 to start SCT process.
Old Mon May 6, 2013, 10:03 AM

I haven't had to have a transfusion yet. How's he getting along with the BMT? I head out tomorrow for consultation for BMT. My sister is a perfect match. I'm anxious & nervous at the same time.

Thanks for the reply
Old Mon May 6, 2013, 10:15 AM

Sandi I just read about Paul having GVHD of the skin. I so sorry & I will pray for both of you to have the strength to cope with this.

Blair
Old Tue May 7, 2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhutt View Post
Are there many people with high risk MDS that don't need transfusions?

Thanks
No. Its rare to NOT to need a transfusion at some point. My Heme says as a rule Hg below 7 (for a male) its time for a transfusion. Otherwise, its symptomatic as he said if you feel dizzy @ 8.2 he'd recommend it.
As Sandi mentioned the docs they use had a plan to go straight to SCT and so they used growth agents and stimulators as opposed to transfusions. My doc on the other hand sent me for an 8 hr transfusion(2 units) when my hg hit 7.3. I didn't feel right. Dizzy, confused, really tired and brain fog they call it.
What he told me is he isn't worried about my blood so much as the blasts as he plans an SCT when an MUD is found. So, if I need blood once a month he wasn't worried b/c hopefully SCT comes and you don't need many.
How often does your doc check your blood? What are the numbers? like you I wouldn't have known when told but as the Hg dropped I suppose I would have collapsed or fell asleep in a car or ended up in an emergency room.
Good luck with your consultation.
Old Tue May 7, 2013, 01:38 PM

When to get transfusions?

My WBC and NE are fairly stable at low levels (WBC 1.5 and NE 0.3) but this week my HGB went down to 10.1 and HCT to 30.6. But, what worries me is the PLTs at 78. My question is: When do you anticipate transfusions of RBC or PLTs?
Shirley, age 75 diagnosed MDS REAB II, 2/6/12, blasts 10%, Dacogen 7 cycles, blasts 1.2%. Stopped treatment for 8 months. 3/19/13 blasts crept up to .06. Began Vidaza. After 3 rounds blasts .01. Continuing Vidaza for rest of my life.
Old Tue May 7, 2013, 06:08 PM

My husband received plates when he went down to 10, but everyone has a different threshold. He got red blood at 8. I know that these cutoffs differ depending on treatment options as well.
Old Wed May 8, 2013, 12:56 AM

When to get transfusions

I get platelets if the count drops to 10 and RBC if hemoglobin is below 8. As everyone else has said, that is up to the doctor and the patient. My dr. will transfuse at 8.5 if I'm really tired or planning to travel.
Sue, age 72; Dx 6/2010 MDS Int-2. Revlimid unsuccessful, began Aranesp 10/2010; additionally Dx PNH 2/2011, Soliris added 3/2011. ATG 5/2011, Cyclosporine 5/2011. Nplate 10/2011 to 10/2012 . Exjade began 12/2013 due to high ferritin level, discontinued 3/2014 because of increase in creatinine.