Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Thu Feb 5, 2015, 10:08 PM

thalidamide and prednisone

Has anyone every been on a treatment regimen of thalidomide and prednisone? Effective? I have such terrible bone pain in my legs and feel as though the prednisone should help. I have read about this treatment but when I have asked my hematologist on three occasions I am told this is not for me. If anyone has any tremendous tricks, solutions, thoughts, suggestions, etc. for bone pain relief, I am all ears! This is the pits. I have this in my legs and it has now spread to the pelvis.
Old Thu Feb 5, 2015, 10:11 PM

Hi LeslieLu - Would you mind sharing which disease you are suffering from? That might help.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Fri Feb 6, 2015, 01:06 AM

prednisone a n d thalidomide

Cheryl, I am sorry. Yes, happy to share. There is thought I may have myelofibrosis.
Old Fri Feb 6, 2015, 02:29 AM

Birgitta was on thalidomide for some time, perhaps she has some advice for you.
Old Fri Feb 6, 2015, 04:09 AM

Thalidomide + Prednisone

Hi LeslieLulu!
As Chirley wrote I was treated 2010-2013 with Thalidomide + Prednisone. As far as I understand Thalidomide is supposed to be an "old" drug since we now have Revlimid (not so much neuropathy) and JAK2 inhibitors (for MF patients). Read about immunomodulating drugs in the article.
http://www.bloodjournal.org/content/124/17/2635

I had so severe bone marrow fibrosis at dx 2006 that my dx was MF the first year. When supportive therapy wasn't enough for me after 4 years my doctor gave me Thalidomide 50 mg + Prednisone (tapered). I responded very well and didn't need txs during 2.5 years though I had been tx dependent since dx. I asked my doctor if I could continue with Prednisone 5 mg with Thalidomide because I had read that Prednisone could give a better response.

I don't know much about bone pain but I understand that it is a common constitutional symptoms in many types of blood cancer. This means that if you are responding to your treatment the bone pain will disappear.

Thalidomide can give neuropathy when you take it during a long time with difficulties to walk (I have got that adverse effect) but is also used against nerve pains in for example HIV patients. It is a very potent drug and you could ask you doctor to let you try it.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
75 yo, dx MDS 2006. Thalidomide + Prednisone 2010-2013. Revlimid 2013-2014. Now tx dependent and waiting for home care because I don't need Contact with a hematologist any more when my bone marrow can't tolerate any drugs against MDS or iron chelating drugs.