Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:45 PM

My Husband is cancer free!!!

I wanted to post because I know how scary it can be when people are first faced with a blood/marrow cancer. I know we searched the web and found many stories that ended sadly. My husband found out he had MDS (which turned to AML) in July of 2011, and had his MUD SCT in May of 2012 at Northwestern University Hospital in Chicago. It damn near killed him, as he had a heart attack, and contracted legionaires pneumonia in the hosptial, but I am glad to say he is cancer free, has not needed a single transfusion since being released from the hospital in June, and is back to work full time as a patrol officer.

We went to the gym this morning and he said he felt better today than he did before the transplant. We will live with a constant hum of worry in the background, but we are living and the hum is more and more faint with every day! I wanted anyone looking for hope to read this. The lord will not let you down. Good comes of all bad. Please pray and fight, and Godspeed to you all. Scott's blog is www.sleist.blogspot.com he started right before we went to the hospital, and he still posts about weekly now.

Betty
Old Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Owner

Betty,

Congratulations! We are SO glad for you and Scott. You had really tough circumstances with MDS and then AML, yet you rose to the top. My wife and I know how hard a journey it's been for you both, and we understand perfectly what you mean by the "constant hum." We use it to our advantage, as incentive to take extra good care of ourselves and each other.

I your blog I noticed Scott's mention of Reel Recovery. I'm very glad he found it useful. Many men are reluctant to talk about what they are going through because we're taught to "take it like a man." But it's much more healthful to talk about your experiences with peers. Scheduling a group activity for patients is a good way to encourage it.

Please do us a favor and post in the Sharing your story on forums and blogs thread to tell people your blog address there. Yours is a story that others should follow and learn from!
Old Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:09 AM

Fantastic news, Betty and Scott! I've been following your blog and have it linked from mine.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:16 AM

Betty;
I am so glad that Scott - and you - are both doing well. I hope things continue on the upswing for both of you - you will be in my thoughts and prayers for sure.
Unfortunately for us - Earl is too weak for any type of transplant to even be considered. I was hoping for a better answer, but the transplant doc that we saw last week said he could not withstand the treatment even prior in his current weakened condition. I am trying to get him to eat more, and hope that some strength will return.
Again - congratulations.

Beth
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:31 AM

Betty, GREAT NEWS about Scott!!! It is nice to hear good news. I hope you two can have many happy years.
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)