Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Thu Dec 1, 2011, 09:49 PM

Ruxolitinib : a treatment for Myelofibrosis

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and don't have much knowledge on medical terms. My father (60 years old, diabetic) is suffering from Myelofibrosis since 2 years. Since few days the disease has been severe as the blood and the platelet count was decreasing rapidly. Due to this he is losing his resistance and interest in eating.

As I was going through an article regarding Myelofibrosis, I came across the drug Ruxolitinib. Below is what it was stated:

In November 2011, the FDA approved Ruxolitinib as a treatment for Myelofibrosis. Ruxolitinib is a twice daily drug which serves as an inhibitor of JAK 1 and 2.
http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm280102.htm

Can someone please help me in understanding regarding this drug. If this drug can help, where can I find it?

Thanks,
Vikram Polasa

Last edited by vpolasa : Thu Dec 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old Fri Dec 2, 2011, 12:49 PM

Myelofibrosis

Hi Vikram,
You know this forum is for patients with Myelodysplastic syndromes or AA. Try this forum for Myelofibrosis. Since my dx initially was Myelofibrosis I learned a lot from MPD-support and I still look at it every day: http://listserv.icors.org/scripts/wa...?A0=MPDSUPPORT
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sat Dec 3, 2011, 03:39 PM

Hi Vikram,

Incyte's Jakafi(TM) (ruxolitinib) was approved by the FDA only a week or so ago (11/18/2011). Incyte have the license for the drug in the US and Novartis has the license for Europe and most of the rest of the world.

For more information on this you can go here. This site is dedicated to myelofibrosis so you should find most of your questions about myelofibrosis answered there.

Good luck

Alan Mead