Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed May 27, 2015, 03:33 PM

MDS/AML va disability question

Sorry, but I filed this in the wrong forum so refiled my question here.
Filed for VA disability for MDS/AML (diagnosed in 2015 and told I am terminal). Someone told me my chances of getting VA disability is not too good since I was a smoker for a long time. I quit in 2007 and have not touch any tobacco products since. Is this true or do I have a chance? Worked with fuel & chemicals while in service with no protection. Thanks Piff (Roger)
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piff View Post
Filed for VA disability for MDS/AML (diagnosed in 2015 and told I am terminal). (Roger)
I went to the VA with my MDS looking for treatment options. They told me the wait list for transplants was so long that I would be dead before my number came up. I had a transplant 11 months ago and am still alive and kicking and as ornery as ever.

I would get some more opinions.

Ray
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 09:32 PM

Glad you had your transplant, however, right now I cannot get a transplant due to an infection I had a while ago. It has been an uphill battle trying not only to get my strength back but all my white, red & platelets are very low. Hopefully, sometime in the future there will be a transplant for me also.
Thank you for the hope.
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 11:20 AM

Dear Piff,
My husband, age 62, smoker (quit immediately), was diagnosed October 2011 with MDS. At the time, his rating was 100% for PTSD, Diabetes etc. & receiving full medical care from the VA. Therefor the VA covered his transplant. I am still in the appeals process for the claim he started 11/2011 regarding the MDS yet, VA still covered all cost for the transplant due to his rating was already 100%. We were notified 12.24.11 that his sister was a 10/10 match. After all the testing/evaluations were complete & info sent to Washington for them to determine his fait, he was approved for the transplant. We were sent to Audy Murphy VA hospital in San Antonio March 19th, 2012 for 5 months. We had a few hurtles to cross during the transplant. It was his only option for survival. He was discharged August 10th, 2012 100% in remission. He was a medical miracle.

With that said, it all depends on what your current rating is as to how much the VA will cover your medical expenses. Just because you smoked years ago the VA more likely than not will do the procedure so long as you are currently not using drugs/tobacco/alcohol. My input is not a guarantee, for it is also based on your health conditions if it is even possible. I do know that if you do not have a sibling donor it can also take more time to find an outside donor.

Regardless, you are in good hands. Don't listen to outside sources, me included. I was only sharing what I learned while my husband was on this same journey. Get it from the horses mouth "VA". Everyone has a unique situation, no one is the same.

As for your claim, keep pressing forward. Stay in touch here on this forum. We are all here to support each other and update everyone with any new info we receive regarding the claim process. You are not alone!

My heartfelt prayers are with you and the family. Keep fighting, for God's plan is not finished for your life.
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 08:07 PM

Thank you so much for all the information. It not only gives me hope but all those who need a transplant to live. Tell your husband that I will pray for him that his transplant puts him in remission for many many years.
Also thank you for the information on being a smoker and getting va disability. Piff
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piff View Post
Filed for VA disability for MDS/AML (diagnosed in 2015 and told I am terminal). Someone told me my chances of getting VA disability is not too good since I was a smoker for a long time. I quit in 2007 and have not touch any tobacco products since. Is this true or do I have a chance? Worked with fuel & chemicals while in service with no protection. Thanks Piff (Roger)
Let me be a little blunter now. If I were you I would be concerned about and putting my energy into curing the MDS. If you aren't cured you will be dead and not get much disability. From reading this group I get the feeling VA does not give disability for MDS very readily. They consider it anemia rather than cancer.

For a transplant the major concern is blast counts. I started at 14% that went to 2% in 2 months on a clinical trial. Platelets, ANC, and WBC were at critical level. This was not a concern. I was healthy and in better than average condition.

As I understand any disabled veteran is entitled to free medical services. Disability % is used only for drug copay. I am 50% disabled and in the top priority group for VA health care. I had the VA install a heart stent. Doctor was excellent. Results were as expected. I looked at VA for MDS. VA actually covers some costly items that Medicare does not cover. I choose Medicare.

Rather than it looking like I am badmouthing the VA ( I am not ) if you send me private message I can go into more detail.

Do you have other insurance?

Ray