Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 03:06 PM

Question Is Myelofibrosis part of the MDS family?

Hi, newbie here. I assume Myelofibrosis is part of the MDS family. I'm confused as when I read some of the medications some of you are taking don't seem ok for people with Myelofibrosis. I guess thats where I'm confused.
I'm still researching all of this as my 78 yr old mother was diagnosed a month ago. She is taking Hydrea. This has helped platelets to finally decrease but now her RBC is 8.5. I've been reading a lot on here and it has actually helped us feel a little more hope and not such a quick death sentence.

Thanks!!
Tammi
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Hi, Tammi.

Welcome to Marrowforums. I hope we can help you and your mother.

Myelofibrosis is not technically part of the MDS family. It is classified as a myeloproliferative disease, which are a group of diseases in which the bone marrow produces extra cells. In the case of myelofibrosis, the bone marrow is gradually replaced by fibrous scar tissue, which impairs the patient's ability to make new blood cells so all of their counts tend downward. Although myelofibrosis can evolve into MDS and even co-exist with MDS, it generally has a better prognosis than either MDS or leukemia. Because all of these diseases involve the bone marrow, you will find overlaps in the drugs used to treat them.

As you can see from reading our forums, there are many members with MDS and some with myelofibrosis as well, so I hope you will feel free to post your questions here. You might also want to look at the website of the MPD Foundation.

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra
Old Tue Apr 7, 2009, 08:15 PM

Thank you, that is what I had thought but got very confused when I started reading all the forums and seeing a lot of the same drugs mentioned that I had read about. My Mom had her first blood transfusion with 3 units. Shes feels 100% better but she is starting to get nose bleeds which sort of worries me if I remember correctly. I need to go back and read all my material. Thanks again!!!