Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Aug 8, 2012, 06:14 PM

Second session of Dacogen, good news!

This is Dean's week for his second Dacogen treatment. He does fine during the time he receives his treatment.

As usual the office did blood work before Dean began his treatment, his numbers were unbelievable, compared to what they were when Dean was first diagnosed, and especially when he went in the hospital, on July 17, after his first treatment.

WBC 1.1, RBC 2.97, HGB 10.5, PLT 24 Dean was diagnosed end of June

WBC 0.3, RBC 3.01, HGB 10.1, PLT 3 July 17, after first Dacogen treatment

WBC 5.3, RBC 2.85, HGB 8.8, PLT 111 His counts today!

Dean's oncologist stopped his Neupogen injections last Friday. Dean had been receiving the Neupogen everyday for two weeks. Yesterday Dean's oncologist gave him a B 12 shot and Procrit, also wrote a prescription for Integra Plus, was concerned about Dean being anemic.

We still can't get over Dean's counts after only one and a half treatments of Dacogen. It looks like Dean may be starting Revlimid soon, we finally are getting somewhere with trying to receive the medication through the company.

Dean and I are afraid to get too excited about these numbers. We are new to all of this, and I guess we are not sure if this will be long term or just temporary, we aren't sure if we should celebrate yet, don't want to start too soon!

Dean says he no longer feels short of breath, and definitely not as weak as he has been feeling, still a little tired, but better than he has felt for a long time.

Hugs to each of you,
Dean,age 76, dx MDS, RAEB-2, 17% blasts, June 2012 - May 2013 - Dacogen with Neupogen and transfusions as needed. End of May 2013 Dacogen stopped working. BMB July 2013 shows RAEB-2 and severe Myelofibrosis. Passed away September 30, 2013
Old Wed Aug 8, 2012, 08:03 PM

Hey Patti!

That's great news! and any great news is a cause for celebration.

Woohoo! (I have on a funny hat and and raising a glass of sparkling seltzer in your honor, just in case you were wondering.)

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com
Old Wed Aug 8, 2012, 08:39 PM
Owner

Patti,

Go ahead and get excited! This is what you wanted to see.

And if you have any minor setbacks, for example having Dean's platelets temporarily drop back below 100, just remember that when you go two steps forward and one step back you're still ahead of where you started!
Old Wed Aug 8, 2012, 08:58 PM

Greg, you just gave Dean and I such a great laugh!!

Note to us: Funny hats and seltzer water tomorrow!!!

Thank you Neil. You are so right, we are definitely ahead of where we began six weeks ago!

Dean and I were afraid to celebrate, fear of the unknown, but you guys have made us feel better. Tomorrow we will celebrate!! Can't do it tonight, it is almost our bedtime!

Thank you Greg and Neil, Dean and I are sitting here with great big smiles on our faces. Good night!
Dean,age 76, dx MDS, RAEB-2, 17% blasts, June 2012 - May 2013 - Dacogen with Neupogen and transfusions as needed. End of May 2013 Dacogen stopped working. BMB July 2013 shows RAEB-2 and severe Myelofibrosis. Passed away September 30, 2013
Old Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:50 PM

Oh, Patti, that is so wonderful. You and Dean definitely need to celebrate!!!!
Don't get too upset if the numbers drop at the low point of receiving the Dacogen though. I think it's called the nadir. At least that's the way it worked when Al was on the Vidaza. The numbers would drop but then would rebound. But his never bounced back like Dean's have. I am thrilled for y'all.
Wish I had better news to report. But I'm so tired tonight I can hardly type. Just got in from Moffitt about two hours ago. Will write a report tomorrow. Al's platelets are 7,000 so we have no good news to report. We'll know more when the results of the bone marrow biopsy he had today come back.
God bless you and Dean!
Hugs,
Linda, Al's wife, 75; dx MDS 5/2010; Vidaza 6/2010; ARRY614 & Sapacitabine clinical trials at Emory, no results, stopped 12/2011. Had BMB at NIH on 6/5/12, blasts 10-15% so he's not eligible for trial there. :eek Promacta trial, Tampa, blasts 25-30% 8/17/12 AML, trying Dacogen now and praying.
Old Thu Aug 9, 2012, 06:10 AM

Linda,

It breaks my heart to see your post. I can understand how tired you must be, it has been a difficult time for both you and Al.

Dean and I will continue to keep you each in our thoughts and, definitely, our prayers.

I do wish I could reach through our computer and wrap my arms around you!

Thinking of you, God Bless You and lots of (((HUGS))).

I do wish it was good news!

Patti and Dean
Old Thu Aug 9, 2012, 08:35 AM

Dear Patti and Dean,

Keep up the good work Dean!!

Dear Linda and Al,
I know how tired you must feel - physically and emotionally.
If Don's experience with Promacta means anything it took about 6 months for his platelets to get going.
Don't get discouraged as these drugs usually take a little time.
Please keep us posted and keep the faith.

God Bless all,
Sally
Old Thu Aug 9, 2012, 01:27 PM

Dacogen

Hi Patti and Dean,
Wonderful with a response during the second cycle of Dacogen !!! Congratulations!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Thu Aug 9, 2012, 04:04 PM

Congrats to you and Dean !!!!

Patti;
So happy for you and Dean. I hope the counts continue to rise.

Beth
Old Thu Aug 9, 2012, 05:24 PM

Hi Beth, Sally and Birgitta-A,

Thank you to each of you for your kind wishes!

Today was Dean's fourth day of his five day cycle of Dacogen. They draw blood each day of his treatment, and today his counts were up again. His WBC is now normal, and his platelets were 140,000. Even Dean's HGB was up to 9.8.

It is still hard to believe that things could change so fast, three weeks ago Dean was in the hospital, his platelets were 3 and his WBC was 0.3.

Is it normal for Dacogen to work so fast? Dean and I feel like we have to keep pinching ourselves because it doesn't seem real yet.

Greg, we didn't exactly wear funny hats today, but we did go out for dinner and celebrated. Dean has been so tired and weak, the last few days have been a blessing to him, he didn't think he would ever feel this good again.

As always, thank you to each of you for keeping us positive and sending support and good thoughts our way. We will keep each of you in our thoughts and prayers, especially those that are going through a difficult time right now. Love and Hugs! God Bless!

Patti and Dean
Old Thu Aug 9, 2012, 06:27 PM

Dear Patti and Dean,
This news is just unbelievable! Who says miracles don't happen?
I hope you both had a wonderful dinner out last night/ I am sure you needed to keep pinching yourselves - it must all seem like a bad dream that you are just waking up from.
God Bless you both!!!
Lots of ((((hugs))))!
Sally
Old Thu Aug 9, 2012, 06:50 PM

Patti & Dean....so very happy for you both....a celebration for sure....