Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits Your finances, insurance, job issues, and veterans benefits

Old Thu Nov 1, 2007, 09:42 AM

Question about SSDI

Does anyone know about getting compensation for being a primary caregiver? My brother's wife will probably need to take a leave of absence from her job when he has his BMT. He will get long-term disability from his job but is it worth apply for social security disability as well?

Thanks,
Martha
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 11:48 PM

I am on disabilty. I recommend applying. It takes two years atleast to go thru the process. BMT's can often deplete coverage, I have no idea how long the present coverage will last. I applied in 4/04 and was approved in 5/06. If he ends up not needing it, no matter, but if he needs it in two years it can take time. You have to pay into the system consistently for five years to qualify. I ws $137. short in paying into the system. contact Social Security office in your area and set up a consult appointment. They are helpful. It requires post graduate hoop jumping.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 03:21 PM

SSDI

Thank you for your advice. I will convey it to my brother. Sorry it's taken me so long to say thank you.

Martha M.