Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > News and Events
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News and Events News related to bone marrow failure diseases

Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 09:36 PM
Marrowforums.org

Marrowforums Owners Receive Leadership Award

On July 12, 2009, Ruth and Neil Cuadra received the annual Leadership in Service award from the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation, in recognition of their volunteer work on behalf of the AA, MDS, and PNH patient community and in particular for creating and running Marrowforums.

The award was presented by Neil Horikoshi, chairman of the Foundation's Board of Directors, at an Awards Luncheon at the AA&MDSIF's annual Patient & Family Conference in Indianapolis.

In accepting the award, Ruth noted the origins of Marrowforums as successor to the AA-MDS-TALK email listserv that was run by Vince Wessling from 1996 to 2006. Neil explained that supporting the patient community is Ruth's and his way of giving something back for the support they received from other patients and caregivers during Ruth's treatment for AA and MDS and subsequent bone marrow transplant.

The value of Marrowforums stems from the participation of patients and their family members and caregivers. Many new members come to Marrowforums looking for answers and suggestions from their peers, and after finding support and friendship begin to share what they've learned and help others. Ruth and Neil thank all forum members for their contributions to this community.

Name:  Leadership_Award_2009.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  29.8 KB

Ruth and Neil Cuadra
Leadership in Service
Aplastic Anemia & MDS
International Foundation
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 11:12 AM

congratualtions to both ruth and neil on this well-deserved award. their contribution to those of us affected with these blood diseases is immeasurable.

this website was invaluable to me during my husband's illness. his doctor, in his kindness, always presented an optimistic view to us. thankfully, my husband was never aware of the direction in which it could turn. i did not question the doctor because i did not want my husband to hear answers which might affect his mental attitude.

only through this informative site was i able to monitor his treatment and gain insight to its possible effectiveness. i was able to anticipate side effects and reactions. there is no way i could have done this alone and i will always be thankful to everyone here for their contribution.

i will continue to follow the marrowform posts and, hopefully, will one day read of the cures we are all praying for.

again, thank you ruth and neil. i cannot truly express how important you have been to me.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 11:24 AM

Thumbs up Reward

Good that you both, Ruth and Neil, got the well deserved award for this wonderful forum!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 02:13 PM

Congratulations!

A well-deserved award for you both.

This website is an extremely valuable resource for all of us.

Thank you for everything you have done.
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 07:38 PM

I wondered how you both got sooooo smart. You both have a real knack for taking the most complicated information and making it understandable. Thank you for your commitment to all of us who soldier on with these marrow diseases! And your own struggles give us all hope.

JEZ
JEZ, 50s, diagnosed AA Dec 2006, ATG one time, serum sickness resolved / took cyclosporine (Neoral) with delayed response but now with good labs/ recent kidney toxicity, so off of cyclosporine now and trying generic Imuran
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 07:16 PM

I'm grateful this site exists, and glad you won this award! The information provided here is useful to so many people.
Old Sat Aug 1, 2009, 11:28 PM

thank you thank you thank you!!! I don't know what I would do without this website for support and information....I am extremely grateful.

Michelle
Old Sun Aug 2, 2009, 10:51 AM

Truly well-deserved

I join everyone else in my appreciation for all that you both have accomplished with this site and especially the forum. Having a place to go to get questions answered, solicit reality checks and just feel that you aren't alone is worth more than words can say.

Many many thanks,

Beth