Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Mon May 2, 2011, 12:51 AM

Interesting theory..

I remember a member posting a question about anyone having any additional autoimmune disorders along with their AA earlier that I posted on. It would seem that I may have some more information for her now.

I recently had an additional opinion from another hematologist here in my area that specializes in MDS. He took particular notice in the fact that I've developed reynaud's at the exact time that my counts have dropped below normal again and the fact that my count trend while in remission has an interesting trend. While in remission, my counts had been in the normal range, but on the low normal range. When I was pregnant with my girls, my counts jumped through the roof! I didn't really think too much about it, but he said that he finds it incredibly interesting because the female body suppresses its immune system during pregnancy in order to keep from killing off the baby growing inside. With my immune system suppressed at that time, my counts were able to skyrocket. With my reynaud's and the trend during my pregnancy he is led to believe that I may have some crazy autoimmune issues going on that triggered my AA before and may be triggering it to start up again now. I've also been incredibly fatigued, but my counts are not reflective of the extremity of my fatigue. My hemoblobin is only sitting at 10.9. He said that could be caused by an autoimmune disorder. I'm supposed to be referred to a rheumatologist soon to do some more testing. It's an interesting theory and I'm more than curious if this could be my culprit.

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil
Old Mon May 2, 2011, 02:35 AM
Owner

The thread you mentioned is here:
Addt'l autoimmune disorder on the side?.
Old Mon May 2, 2011, 04:13 PM

Yes, thank you, Neil!

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil