Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 10:47 PM

Care of dual lumen Bard ports

I wonder if anyone could offer their experience or opinion re the maximum length of time a Bard dual lumen port can safely go between flushes? I had ATG 1 1/2 years ago and still have the dual port in my chest. I am pretty stable now with HG at 11.2, and Platelets at 47 and see hematologist every 4 weeks for CBC.
Since it's a dual port I usually alternate ports rather than getting both accessed every visit. Last week the doctor said I could come back on a six week interval. This would mean that last month's unaccessed port will not be flushed for 10 weeks. I thought 8 weeks was generally the longest recommended time between accessing ports and told the doctor that. He said he thinks 10 weeks will be fine. Since the nurse had a little difficulty drawing blood from one port after 8 weeks, I'm really concerned about going 10. I'm thinking of calling the lab in a few weeks to see if I can get them to flush the port before 10 weeks. I'll definitely go to getting both flushed when I'm on a 6 week interval.
Thanks
Flyguy
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 06:11 AM

ports

Hi Fly,
here in the UK they like to flush them once a week, which ties in nicely with my once a week blood test (six weeks after Rabbit no signs of anything significant :0( )
When I asked how often they should be flushed they said at least once a week, however, if I wanted to, they would show me how to do it myself. It is quite easy, its more about technique, you do quick little flushes to cause turbulence in them and finish with a solution that coats the ports to stop blood from sticking. I said that once I am down to once in a blue moon visits I will consider doing them myself.
Congrats on your results, I wish mine would hurry up, now getting really stressed with it all.
xxx
Karen
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 07:34 AM

Is there a reason for you to keep one in since you are no longer getting transfusions or IV drugs? I would consider getting it pulled since there's always a risk of infection.

John had a double lumen hickman and we flushed it every day in between appointments. There are other brands that don't require daily flushing like a double lumen groshen (sp?). We changed the dressing and the caps weekly and flushed it daily.

As Karen says, it's pretty easy and you can do it yourself. They would have to set you up the supplies and teach you how to do it.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:25 PM

hickman line

I had a hickman line for @ 10 months.My wife was trained to take blood and flush lines.I think they were flushed every week.I was really glad to have it pulled out.The worst part was tapping a plastic over it for showers.And the shaving and disenfecting.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:07 PM

Port

Hi flyguy,
In Sweden they flush ports every 4th to 6th week - different in different hospitals. I wouldn't dream of doing that myself - a hickman line is very different from a port.

The surgeon who implanted my port told me to not have it removed when I have a disease like MDS because if/when I need a port again I might be more ill and have difficulties with wound healing.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Tx dependent 2006-Sept 2011. Port since 2007 without problems. Good response to Thalidomide.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:24 PM

Ken has a Bard port, but it's a single lumen. It's subcutaneous, as I assume yours is too, Flyguy, so it doesn't run as much risk of infection as a Hickman or Picc line, or some other type that is exposed. I imagine it doesn't need to be flushed as often either. Daily, or even weekly, sounds excessive to me, but maybe that's for Hickmans.

He's currently seeing the doctor every 2 months, and he generally gets it flushed with every visit, but previously the interval between flushings seemed to vary. His previous doctor seemed to feel that every 3 months was fine, but he says the lab technicians recommend monthly flushings.

At any rate, he's never had a problem with his from going too long. He's kept it in all these years "just in case". He didn't have it during his first ATG, and all of the needle sticks got really tiresome. The second one was so much easier with the port, as were all of the transfusions. If he ever has to go through that again, he'll at least have a port in place, and the doctor doesn't see a need to have it pulled if it's not giving him any problems.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 08:08 PM

Hi, I asked the doctor about having my port taken out and he was adamant it should stay in. Both my doctor and the day care nurses say that it needs to be flushed with Saline and then locked with Heparin every 2 months. BTW it's only ever been unused for 2 months once in three and a half years so it hasn't really been an issue.

Regards
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa V View Post
Ken has a Bard port, but it's a single lumen. It's subcutaneous, as I assume yours is too, Flyguy, so it doesn't run as much risk of infection as a Hickman or Picc line, or some other type that is exposed. I imagine it doesn't need to be flushed as often either. Daily, or even weekly, sounds excessive to me, but maybe that's for Hickmans.
Hi Lisa and everyone,
I should have said that it is a subcutaneous port and doesn't take any external care. I have given myself IVs with it for a couple of weeks following ATG treatment. I just used the "pigtails" placed by home health care nurses. It takes a 1 inch needle to pierce the chest wall and ports and I've never done it, or had a desire to. My wife is a nurse and also doesn't want to be responsible for it. I may be upset about a problem that shouldn't be an issue, but I will see the lab folks and ask them.
The oncologist said the same thing about leaving it in if it wasn't causing a problem so it would be there if needed for further treatment.
Thanks everyone,
Flyguy

Last edited by Neil Cuadra : Wed Apr 27, 2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: fixed broken QUOTE tag
Old Sun May 1, 2011, 05:24 PM

I have a hickman line which is flushed weekly I have had it is since Aug 2010 when I had my ATG I have been transfusion free now for almost 7 months and my Dr has said he wants it to be removed as it is only being used to take bloods weekly and as I have not had any transfusions for quite a while he sees it as a threat and possible risk of infection which he doesn't want to take the chance on.

Diagnosed SAA 08/2010 ATG RABBIT 09/2010 taking cyclosporine