Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 04:57 PM

tcdd effects on bone marrow

I am a viet nam vet diagnosed with essential thrombocytosis. Been trying to find any connection with exposure to agent orange and my condition.the culprit in this scenario is the chemical tcdd,an acronym for a long mean sounding dioxin .......a component of agent orange. Can anyone help me with this?I filed a claim with the va and because et is not on the va presumptive list'my claim was denied twice!does tcdd have any kind of effect on bone marrow?my condition is that of extremely high platelets.very rare condition,incurable but manageable with meds. I am on hydroxyurea and am in the safe zone now.HELP! Thanks. Werickso49. Msg. Me please with any kind of information concerning this.Also if anyone, esp. Viet vets,has this
Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 11:47 PM
Owner

werickso49,

Of all the dioxins, TDCC (which stands for 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin) is one of the most toxic, and it was found in Agent Orange. Some vets and their supporters are working at the political and scientific levels with the evidence that continues to accumulate, showing that Agent Orange and its contaminants were primary causes of bone marrow failure, while other vets seek full medical evaluations from doctors who might be able to give them written statements about the connections between their disease and their exposures, which the vets can then use during the appeal process.

I suggest that you read and post in our MDS, Agent Orange and the VA forum thread.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 12:16 AM

Thanks so much,Neil.I truly appreciate the rapid response! What I'm having trouble with is getting "clinical rationale" concerning the possible link of my (and many other Viet Vets I have read about on health related sites) condition and agent orange.My Power Of Atty. (The DAV) says that if I can get a medical type statement saying something to the effect that "Agent Orange has a 50/50 chance of being responsible,in part, for essential Thrombocytosis" then I MAY get approved for a disability benefit.ET is def. a bone marrow issue.Problem is,I can't find numbers.Apparently the VA is set in stone with the existing presumptive list and anything that isn't on it,isn't recognized.Though ET is rare(as told to me by my hemotologist/oncologist) I have read of MANY Viet Vets having it! That didn't matter to the VA rep.I would have to provide numbers of affected vets to that of the general public.How the heck do I get information like that?........Type 2 Diabetes,the most common,most treatable and most reversable diabetes (knowing no gender or age) is on the list.I have a friend (Viet Vet) who was diagnosed with T2 and is collecting 100% disability.He eats anything he wants,smokes like a smokestack and says,"Ya gotta die from something"............Fair?Nope! Who could provide "clinical rationale" for the benefit of all of us with this condition?There is also another similar condition(can't remember the name) only the platelet count is extremely low.............Thanks again,Neil.Hope I can get other contacts that could benefit me and others in my situation.

werickso49