Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Tue Jul 5, 2016, 05:09 PM

Few more questions?

Hi,
I am sorry to be repetitive but I have a couple mor questions if any one can help. It's my bloods and not quite understanding HBC 9 WBC 1970 ( that figure I really dont understand as its all spanish also using the word leuycitos? ) my platelets 24 000 and Vsg 7 also not understanding? Also on my report it said Very hypocellur? I am back to the hospital on Friday as I am taking cyclosporine and presidone and my arms are very itchy and my lips and hands tingle. It's so strange as I have moments when I have loads of energy and moments none, really keep thinking its in my head. Heart palpitations and bruising! Does anyone out there have theses symptoms and help with the bloods? much love x
Old Wed Jul 6, 2016, 01:58 AM

Sarah,

HBC looks a lot like it is your hemoglobin level, which the normal level is 13.5 to 17.5 for women, wbc is your white blood count - at 1970, it is low, normal is 4500 to 11000, and normal platelet count is from 150,000 to 450,000 total. When you drop below 50,000 platelets, you tend to bruise easily and get hematomas or bumps under the skin with the bruise. Prednisone and cyclosporine can worsen the symptoms while helping the counts improve. I have never taken cyclosporine, but I do know that prednisone, especially in higher doses can give you boundless energy, make it hard to sleep, and at the same time make you weak. Prednisone will also cause your heart rate to accelerate and feel as if it is beating out of your chest at times.

Hypocellular marrow is one of the components of diagnosing SAA, it basically means that instead of having a marrow appropriate for your age, you have a little less available to produce blood cells, resulting in cytopenias - shortages - of red blood cells, platelets, and white blood cells. Normal cellularity is measured by a rule of thumb 100 minus your age. If you were 40 years old, your marrow would be expected to be about 60% cellularity, give or take a few percent.

As always, you should definitely seek out more information from doctors that are skilled in handling SAA cases to get the best help possible. Hopefully this gives you a little more to work with when you see the doctor.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Wed Jul 6, 2016, 05:20 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Hi Dan

Well thank you so much for that that has to be the most useful information at least I can understan the blood counts a little better and they are all quite low arent they dont think I realised just how low? Also when they did the biopsy there were 3 nurses and I recall them really struggling to find enough to do the biopsy does that make sense? I have called my consultant and have an earlier appointment for this Friday as not feeling to good my arms itch a lot and tingling feelings in my lips and hands not painful just uncomfortable, the heart still pounding and ringing in the ears! oh the joy ! hahahaha! I have to laugh as I still cant believe this is real maybe I am in denial? I have always been so fit and healthy I teach aerobics and go for long walks with clients and this time of year I do activities with children water polo,crafts,football and many more so to say the least I think I am in shock as I am unable to do these things and go to work.
So presidone should help me can you tell me excatly what it is? as I have mentioned before I live in spain and to get English info is hard so you are being really helpful. Please keep in touch ! Also anyone else it would be good to chat! xx