Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Wed May 9, 2012, 03:14 AM

Platelet Apheresis Machine

I want to know if the make or type of platelet apheresis machien matters on the quantity or quality of platelet extracted from the donor ? have noticed that the 1 SDP ( by single donor on platelet mahince) only boost up platelet count of my father by 10000-15000 and maximum by 20000. i have also noticed from other poss of Hon'ble members wherein some of the members have posted the increase in platelets from 20000 to 90000 from single donation. In my fatehr case the very first platelet transfusion boosted the platelet from 30000 to 80000 (way back in Oct 2010 at the time of diagnosis). he hasnt had much platelet transfusion. had 2-3 in October 2010, Then 5 platelet transfusion in April 2011, and Now had 5 transfusion in last 8 Month. All of them being Single Donor on Apherisis Machine except few of Platelet concentrate.

All these above platelet were seprated from the one (same machine) in the same hospital. What i want to know is that changing the Apherisis machine can matter the outcome of the platelet transfusion. can there be a possibility that the machine of the hospital do not extract enough platelets from the donor ?

Kindly enlighten me.

regards,

Neel
Father age 64 diagnosed with MDS RAEB-2, with 15%-18% blasts in October 2010. Only had blood and platelet transfusions. Ayurvedic treatment which showed result for arnd 5 months. Started Tahlidomide 100 mg started on 22 nd April 2011. Revolade 50 mg started on 2 nd april 2012.