MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 11:00 AM

Smile Message from Tracey

Hi,
The following is from an e-mail from Tracey (posted with her permission):

Data
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 09:52 PM

Tracey has passed away

I'm Tracey's husband, Chris. I know she was active on this forum and felt obligated to let everyone who interacted with her know that she passed away last night. She had been in the hospital continuously almost two months. At first there was great excitement that her leukemia went into remission almost immediately. However, in the following weeks she started developing increasingly frequent fevers and bouts of nausea. About a week ago she developed pneumonia, probably through aspiration after vomiting, and then her condition deteriorated very rapidly over the weekend. She was fitted with a breathing mask and then put on a ventilator, but she continued developing more opportunistic infections until the situation became hopeless. Through it all she showed remarkable strength and fortitude. She died peacefully, in the presence of her family, but it was nevertheless a terrible ordeal for all, as she couldn't communicate and was in obvious distress. The various infections she contracted and procedures she was put through made her almost unrecognizable, but her eyes told us that she loved us all and would miss us. We will cherish her memory forever. Thank you all for giving her the hope and support she needed to try and beat this. While ultimately she did not prevail, you kept her spirits up and made it possible for her to keep fighting. God bless you all.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 10:37 PM

I am very sorry. We could tell that Tracey was very courageous and gave this her best effort. She inspired all of us. We wish all of you comfort.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 10:53 PM
Owner

My wife and I extend our deepest sympathies to you and your family, Chris. Tracey became a friend through our conversations, and we were worried whenever we didn't hear from her. She cheered on other patients in these forums, even as she was struggling to get to transplant. We admired her and we'll miss her.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 01:28 AM

Please let me extend my deepest sympathy to you and your family. Tracey showed us much courage and the ability to maintain a sense of humor even in trying circumstances. I am shocked as well as saddened; I just knew she would get through it with flying colors.
Mags
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 03:52 AM

Totally shocked to read of Tracey's passing. My deepest sympathy to you and family Chris. I have so admired her courage and her positive spirit. God give you all strength to bear your sorrow and loss.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 03:53 AM

Unhappy Peace

Chris,
I am so sorry this turned out this way. I had hope when her blasts count went down she was on the road to recovery. She did put up one heck of a fight and I know you must be proud of her for that. Thank you for letting us know. May you and your family find peace in knowing her suffering is over.

David
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 07:50 PM

Condolences

Chris,

I'm very sorry for your loss. I am watching my father battle MDS / AML. The odds aren't great, but as the poem says, "Do not go gentle" and it holds especially true when you have a loving family.

It was helpful to hear her story over the past few months. She really did seem like a courageous woman.

Matt
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 06:22 PM

Chris,

I am terribly sorry for your loss. Tracey seemed to be a real fighter and inspiration to many in the forum.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 10:02 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, I enjoyed reading her insightful posts and was rooting for her from the bottom of my heart.

Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 04:00 PM

Unhappy

So sorry for your loss, her posts were always informstive and she was wonderful to everyone here
Diagnosed AA in 2009;treated rabbit ATG+Cyclosporin the same year, taken off Cyclosporin in 2011; Relapsed AA in 2015 and had horse ATG as of 08/02/16. I have copy neutral loss of heterozygosity in chromosome 6p, affecting the HLA region.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 11:34 AM

I just found this. I am so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for everyone.
Old Thu Apr 7, 2016, 02:14 PM

Chris, I'm so sorry for your loss. My dad and tracey were both diagnosed at the same time so we shared this journey together through this awful disease. Hugs to you and your family.
Daughter of father diagnosed with MDS RAEB-II intermediate risk due to normal cytogenetics. Blasts at 13% peripheral blood at diagnosis with no cytopenias. 6 cycles on Vidaza then on to SCT at Duke. BMT from my brother and now showing signs of relapse. DLI in the works.
Old Fri Apr 8, 2016, 09:56 AM

Chris, Im so terribly sorry for your loss... Tracey was a hugely admirable woman, full of courage and positivism, in which I'm sure you, her family and friends, were a very very important part of it, helping her all along this awful disease to be as happy and confortable as she could ever be.
My deepest sympathy to you and your family. No doubt she will be now looking after you all with all her strenght and love from a better place.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 10:43 AM

tracey11

Your courage and love of Life is to be CELEBRATED!!!! Each breath and moment reminds us how precious the next one is. I am a widow of an MDS patient who fought a courageous fight for 8 years and amazed me everyday. He was 54 when he passed away 13 years ago.

You will be in a "pocket in my heart" daily and I will celebrate your Life and bravery. And to your husband and family, thank you for the support, care and love you give to Tracey.