Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 11:58 AM

Cold/Flu

Hi Friends,

My dad just came down with cold/flu like symptoms (sniffles, runny nose) yesterday and took the over the counter medicine, Contact. I am a little concerned because Contact has that ingredient, Acetaminophen, that affects the liver.

My dad had a Liver Function Panel conducted on 07/06/07 where his Bilirubin level was at a 1.2.

I just e-mailed our hematologist but does anyone have any experiences with a cold or flu with MDS? Or any suggestions of what to do or not to do?

Thank you
June, daugther. 71 yr old father dx on 01/13/07 with MDS/MPD - RCMD/Secondary MF). No excess blasts no excess chromosomes. Hypercelluar 70-80%. Low hgb. Transfusion dependent every 3-4 weeks/2pints. Began Procrit on 03/27/07. No progress thus far. Taking Folic Acid, B6, CoQ10, and Cod Liver Oil
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 02:13 AM

Julie-

Was that bilirubin level flagged as high? Depending on whether or not that was a Direct bilirubin level or Total bilirubin level, it may or may not have been out of normal range.

Usually when our son gets some kind of a cold/flu type virus we try to give him as little as possible. Tylenol for fever and aches, saline nasal spray for congestion with lots and lots of fluids.

You certainly do need to read labels and stay away from anything containing aspirin or ibuprofen if platelets are an issue for your dad. Pepto Bismol and Alka Seltzer products that contain salicylates are also a no no for people with low platelets.

Wendy/mom to Grant
AA
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the response Wendy

Thanks for the response Wendy. My dad is doing okay. He just has a runny nose and sniffles and doesn't have an appetite. I emailed our hema and he said that it is okay for my dad to take the over the counter medications. My dad took Contact for about a day and stopped altogether.
We have a follow up appointment this Friday so we'll see what's in store.
June, daugther. 71 yr old father dx on 01/13/07 with MDS/MPD - RCMD/Secondary MF). No excess blasts no excess chromosomes. Hypercelluar 70-80%. Low hgb. Transfusion dependent every 3-4 weeks/2pints. Began Procrit on 03/27/07. No progress thus far. Taking Folic Acid, B6, CoQ10, and Cod Liver Oil