Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits Your finances, insurance, job issues, and veterans benefits

Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 12:16 AM

Financing Bone Marrow & Blood Cord Transplantations

Hello,

My name is Richard De La Garza. I am doing a school project at Columbia University related to increasing donations for bone marrow and blood cord transplantations.

New York State is the area I want to impact.

I am aware that insurance companies vary in coverage and each person's case is different in terms of their health condition and income level.

I want to know the costs insurance companies generally cover for such a transplant procedure. Alternatively, people that have no insurance, how much does Medicaid contribute to help finance the operation?

Also, considering there is no match for someone in need. How much money does the insurance company dish out regularly over a relatively short life span?

I appreciate any information you can give out. This would significantly help me figure out best strategy to get legislation passed to benefit children seeking donors as well as increase number of volunteers to donate! Thanks.

Richard D.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 10:22 PM

I am in the process of getting such details from my own insurance company, as i am planning to start a BM search. Once I get details I will be happy to share with you.