Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Sat Jan 9, 2010, 06:31 AM

Thumbs up Blood Test Could Improve GVHD Treatment

Hi all,
Now they perhaps have found a blood test (elafin levels) that can make it possible to see if a rash is due to GVHD or an adverse reaction due to antibiotics or other drugs. Then the doctor knows if the patient should have high-dose steroids that will suppress GVHD but further weaken a patient's already compromised immune system.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0108090953.htm
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sat Jan 9, 2010, 11:48 AM
Owner

That's very good news.

The NIH-funded research found the connection by a trial-and-error method:
Using mass spectrometry, the scientists screened a large number of proteins in the blood and skin of bone marrow transplant patients to search for biomarkers involved in GVHD of the skin. Elafin emerged as a significant biomarker.
Treatment choices are often a balancing act, and being able to tell whether or not a patient has GVHD of the skin, using a blood test, will take some of the guesswork out of it.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 11:04 AM

I think I must be missing something here, because this sounds like what they already do...?

When I first came out in hives, I was referred to dermatology, who took a skin biopsy to determine whether it was GvH or a drug reaction (they even said that they didn't want to give me steroid creams just in case it wasn't GvH, because they'd only make it worse). The result came back in about 5 days, and this was all only a few months ago, back in October.

So is this (supposedly?) new test was my skin biopsy was for? Or is this test truly new and it's quicker than 5 days or something? I must say, the skin biopsy wasn't that much more hassle than a blood test, really... I'm just confused as to what the breakthrough is here!
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 11:58 AM

GVHD

Hi squirrellypoo,
As far as I understand the new test is more easy and doesn't take sevaral days. You know many patients have low platelets and I can imagine that they start bleeding when they take a biopsy. Then I think every day is important when you should start treating GVHD or adverse reactions to drugs but I am no expert in SCT since I am too old for that kind of treatment.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:36 AM

Aah, thanks for explaining that, Birgitta. I hadn't thought of the low platelet issues since mine were so good immediately after transplant.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)