Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 02:34 PM

Red face After hospital treatment

Hello!

My husband was in hospital for treatment with ATG, cortisone and cyclosporine, plus some other drugs. It started June 14th.

After almost 3 weeks at the hospital he came home and had been going to hospital twice a week to consultation, blood tests and transfusions.

Today low fever, nausea and vomiting took us to hospital to know that zooster herpes is doing this.

His platelets account was 4 (!) after treatment.
Monday it was 22; today is 14.
Tomorrow he'll have platelets transfusion.

Regarding WBC, today it was 1600 (he is on shoting - 1 every two weeks to help WBC development).

Hemoglobin is 7.0 so doctor said he'll have a blood transfusion tomorrow. He had the last one in the day he came home from hospital, almost 3 weeks ago.
His last platelets transfusion was 10 days ago.

I must tell that he did very well during treatment and all this time until this week.

Monday doctor analyzed his reticulocits. He said that in the beginnig of tratment they were 0. Monday it was 1.6, so doctor told his blood marrow is starting to work.

I want to share this with you and ask for your opinios.
They help us very much.

Thank you!
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 03:58 PM

Looking good

Hi Paula,

Good to hear that the treatment went well!!! You must be feeling better about things today.

Based on my own experience, I would only say to be aware of the importance of the cyclosporin taper. There are other threads about this subject on this site. My own response to the treatment was great, but we lost it on the taper.

Bill
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 07:33 PM

AA

Hi Paula,
My name is Carol. I had ATG treatment on April 1st. Around April 15th my back was killing me, I saw my Dr. He informed me I had the zooster virus. This is more painful then BMB or having back labor. My doctor prescribed Gabapentin for pain, Veltrex so they did not come out. This lasted for almost two months. But I am now feeling better. Hope he does not get the pain. It can be awful!!!
Old Sat Jul 19, 2008, 12:16 PM

Hello Paula, I am glad you wrote here. Sounds like your husbands treatment was average treatment. For me, that hardest part was after I got home. I remember going to the clinic so often and all of the transfusions. For most, that is normal. I was very week and didn't feel well for quite some time. Takes time to get the counts to go back up. I know it must be hard for both of you, but it will get better. A fever is always of a concern with the immune system being low. Did the Dr. put him on an antibiotic or anything to help with that virus? I hope they can do something to help with it.
Hang in there!
Connie
Old Fri Aug 15, 2008, 05:13 PM

Yours was a precious answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
Hello Paula, I am glad you wrote here. Sounds like your husbands treatment was average treatment. For me, that hardest part was after I got home. I remember going to the clinic so often and all of the transfusions. For most, that is normal. I was very week and didn't feel well for quite some time. Takes time to get the counts to go back up. I know it must be hard for both of you, but it will get better. A fever is always of a concern with the immune system being low. Did the Dr. put him on an antibiotic or anything to help with that virus? I hope they can do something to help with it.
Hang in there!
Connie
Hi Connie! I'm sorry for did'n answer you before. Indeed I was not able to come to the site.
Your answer is precious to us because Jorge is feedling very weak in spite Hb is 9.1 and platelets 64.
Magnesium is very low due to cyclosporine and it might be the cause.
Thank you for sharing your experience that is quite as my husband's - after being home has been the hardest part.