Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Thu Sep 6, 2012, 11:45 AM

How long should one be continuing on tacrolimus ???

Hi. I havent been to the site for awhile. Sorry. Just wondering since I am 2 and a half years out of treatment for AA, havent had a transfusion in 10 months, doing pretty good. Doc is still keeping me on 8mg/day of tacrolimus.
I know drug maintenance is important within the first year, but anyone know if its still necessary at this point?
Anyone have similar issues?
Regards,
Susansr
Old Thu Sep 6, 2012, 05:13 PM

Tacrolimus

Hi Susan
Wow I have been wondering the same thing. I am exactly 6 months post ATG (to the day! - March 6). My last counts 1 week ago were:
WBC 5.3
PLT 43,000
HGB 9.7
As you can see, these are good counts and dr. says I am having a "partial response". Last transfusions were in April 2012.
I take tacrolimus 10 mg per day + acyclovir + mepron (the last 2 prophylactically). A lot of the articles in the journals say to start tapering at 6 months. Last time I asked, he told me "indefinitely" for the tacro.
Now here is the big question: I see you are from Boston, I go to Dana Farber for my treatment. Wouldn't it be funny if we had the same doctor?
Old Sat Sep 8, 2012, 01:24 PM

Tacrolimus--how long?

Dear MelanieW:
Thanks for responding. It seems like your numbers are rising nicely just being 6 months post ATG. It appears that tapering is done more after 1 year post ATG, and that people who were tapered earlier were more likely to have a relapse.
I sent you an email about my doc at DFCI. Interesting if we have the same doc. I don't know anyone else from DFCI!

So, for you, probably staying on course with the drug regime is better right now. For me, who knows? Two and a half years........
susansr