Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Tue Feb 9, 2010, 06:04 PM

Any correlation with Fibromyalgia and Iron Overload

Are there any members who have information about chronic muscle pain (Fibromyalgia) in correlation to iron overload? Does the iron affect or increase discomfort? Any clinical studies that connect also MDS and Fibromyalgia?

My current ferritin level is in the 1500 range. Looks like chelation may be in my future.

Thanks!
Old Tue Apr 6, 2010, 06:02 AM

MDS and fibromyalgia

It appears that I also have the two, but my ferritin is low in 20's. Go figure. Two years ago my family doctor told me to take it easy, otherwise the disease will go to my muscles. Then, after a lot of pain and anxiety, they diagnosed fibromyalgia. I also get very dizzy and nearly fainting, with fatigue and decreased strength.
How is your fibromyalgia fairing?
Old Wed Apr 7, 2010, 05:09 AM

Fibromyalgia and MDS

It seems that pain in the my arms, shoulders, and large muscles may be Bursitis. I am some better after seeing a rheumotolgist and receiving huge injections in both shoulers plus rest. However, I do think at times I am plaqued with fibromyalgia. Another fact that probably has affected my overall well being is the infection in my portacath, that was removed March 11, 2010. I am on day 19 of Exjade treatment. Ferritin count was 1600, this week. Liver function is normal. Renal panel showed some elevation, but I am not as knowledgeable, YET, in that area. We all must learn as much as possible!
Old Fri Apr 9, 2010, 06:08 AM

Fibromyalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by towncarlady View Post
It seems that pain in the my arms, shoulders, and large muscles may be Bursitis. I am some better after seeing a rheumotolgist and receiving huge injections in both shoulers plus rest. However, I do think at times I am plaqued with fibromyalgia. Another fact that probably has affected my overall well being is the infection in my portacath, that was removed March 11, 2010. I am on day 19 of Exjade treatment. Ferritin count was 1600, this week. Liver function is normal. Renal panel showed some elevation, but I am not as knowledgeable, YET, in that area. We all must learn as much as possible!
Yes you are right we must learn always.
Even though my ferritin is low and has been for years, occasionally I have this uncanny feeling I have too much iron - and perhaps in red cells is. Apparently fibromyalgia can be brought about by injury to muscle or joint, so if you/your body are stressed and cause injury to the tissues, or a bump or a dislocation.. this is my theory. On the other hand fibromyalgia is not always the same disease, here they call it the "bag" when they do not know how to call a problem. They tried some silly drugs that made my daily dizziness a nightmare type-dizziness, and I said thanks but no thanks. Perhaps it is some inflammatory/metabolic thing?