Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 07:02 PM

Post transplant question/freak out

And of course it being after hours, it's taking all my internal fortitude to not google.

My husband was dx with ALL preB in July '10. He responded well to chemo but in October the team noticed his liver wasn't so happy. It was determined a BMT would be the best course of action and he received an allogeneic transplant from a perfect match on January 21, 2010. He was released last Thursday and bounced back today for orthostasis. That's not so much my concern. It happens.

Yesterday's platelets were at 242,000 and today they've dropped to 204,000. Yesterday his hemoglobin was 9.1 and today was at 7.9. That's a pretty drastic drop for just one day. Of course my mind jumps to the worst case scenerio--that the transplant was a failure and the leukemia is back. I should also mention he's very sore all over, which was one of his first symptoms before being diagnosed.

Anyways, has anyone heard of a drop that quickly before? Obviously I'm going to ask tomorrow but I'm going to quietly freak out tonight.

Thanks.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 10:24 PM

Hey Belle!

I don't blame you for freaking out.

I'm MDS and I haven't had a transplant, but , at the low point of my recovery after immunosuppressive therapy, I was transfused with two units of red cells with Hgb at 6.2 and had Hgb of 6.2 again a week later. That's not quite as fast as your spouse, but it's pretty darned fast.

I think the marrow does weird stuff when it's recovering, so keep the faith!

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com
Old Thu Mar 3, 2011, 11:17 PM

A small update of sorts...I guess.

His counts have been bouncing all over the place. One day his platelets are 250, the next they're 178 and the day after they're at 210. I've been reassured by just about everyone on the team that this is a normal occurrence. Unfortunately he's still quite orthostatic (which is so weird to me since he's has high blood pressure for years) and he's being kept in for that reason alone. He had a BMB today so I'll be sitting on pins and needles until those results come back.
Old Mon Mar 7, 2011, 11:30 PM

Hey Belle!

My platelets have bounced around a bunch ever since my Campath treatment. OVer the long haul, they are trending up, but from week to week they are all over the map.

I don't know if that's exactly normal, but it hasn't gotten my docs excited.

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com