Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits Your finances, insurance, job issues, and veterans benefits

Old Mon Aug 16, 2010, 09:26 AM

Aplastic Anemia and Vietnam Era vets

I wrote this letter to four very well know hematologists.

http://www.lindane.org/health/toxico...tic_anemia.htm

Good morning fellow conspirators,

I am trying to help a fellow veteran with Aplastic Anemia. He did not serve in Vietnam but was in Panama Canal Zone during the Vietnam Era. It is well documented that the US used vast quantities of DDT, chlordane, malathion and other insecticides in the Zone. There is antidotal evidence that Agent Orange was also used (defoliated forests, statements from military serving there at the time, and an elevated incidence of AO related diseases, etc.) but the US government never has and probably never will admit to it until we are all dead.

The AO trail is most likely a dead end without the government admitting to something they are not about to. I was wondering if an etiological link might be made between the insecticide usage and AA or other bone marrow failure diseases? If there is a linkage, vast quantities of insecticides were also used in Vietnam and any other military base I was ever on. Dioxin and PCBs in the soil of Panama are also at very high and unsafe levels.

There is little to no chance that his VA doctors are going to help him with a claim, even if justified, against Veterans Affairs. He probably is not that far from Mayo in Minnesota. Any recommendations on who he might go see there?

When this is all over we are going to all get together in a central location and I am going to allow John Huber to treat us to a very expensive dinner. A nice central location might be the Bahamas in February? Lobster and red snapper anyone?

Words cannot begin to say what I feel for you guys,

Bob