Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 05:02 PM

Combining two oral chelators: DFX and DFP

2064 Combination of Two Orally Active Iron Chelating Agents: Efficacy and Safety In a Clinical Setting

http://ash.confex.com/ash/2010/webpr...aper31685.html

Citation: "The combination of DFP and deferoxamine (DFO) has been shown to be effective in reducing cardiac iron overload but some patients are unable or unwilling to use DFO. DFP alone has also been reported to be cardioprotective."

So 4 adult patients with thalassemia major with major problems with excessive cardiac iron load, a reduced left ventricular ejection fraction and either severe allergy or intolerance to DFO have been treated with the combination of DFX and DFP for between 6 and 60 months (mean 18 months). The frame was a compassionate-use programme.

The compliance of the patients was not very high, and so the results vary. The results" "indicate that the combined use of the two oral chelators (DFP & DFX) prevented further cardiac iron loading with a tendency for its reduction, significant improvement in left ventricular ejection fraction, maintenance of ferritin levels and LIC."(..) "The combination was well tolerated and easier to manage."

Citation "In particular, a prospective randomized study in patients with excessive cardiac iron will be necessary before this combination could be considered standard therapy."
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:52 PM

Stabilizing Iron Overload naturally

I am transfusion dependant and I get transfused every 4-6 weeks. I am now under a new Oncologist and this one made a recommendation that helped stabilize the iron in my body without using Exjade, etc. It is drinking BLACK TEA. I take 2 bags of black tea in the morning and 2 in the afternoon and another 2 in the evening. I was on Exjade for a month, but the medication started to ruin my kidneys. I hope this new discovery helps people like me.