Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits Your finances, insurance, job issues, and veterans benefits

Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 08:29 PM

Lightbulb Work and AA

I'm interested in finding out about those of you who work f/t or p/t w/AA (or any other disease). Did you find that you had to quit? Go p/t? Disability? I am asking because I am facing having to quit my job for a lack of enough stamina to continue (I drive a school bus...split shift...which is SO hard to last an entire day, which in actuality starts at 4:30 a.m. and ends at 4 p.m...... I'm so pooped! But there are no alternatives in my dept.)

Thanks so much.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 10:24 PM

When first diagnosed I continued to work full time one month, then took short term disability from my job and recieved horse ATG/ cyclosprine treatment. I could not work at all when taking high doses of prednisone. I went on long term disability with my work 3 mos. later and the policy had a return to work incentive so I was able to go part time and still receive some disability benefits from that policy. I had to work enough hours to keep my health insurance but I felt sooooo sick.... it was very, very hard for me. I was so fatigued I had to rest 4 times just to walk a slight incline up one block to the stop sign on my street. By 9 months after the treatment and as my bone marrow improved, I went back full time and went off of disability. It was a big decision but I am glad I did it as I got stronger from working. It has been just under 2 years since I went back full time. I wish I could work 5-6 hours per day instead of 9 but financially it is not possible. But I am doing pretty good. I do get fatigued at the end of a busy day. I do not need transfusions at all now. If I did I think it would be hard to work this much.
JEZ, 50s, diagnosed AA Dec 2006, ATG one time, serum sickness resolved / took cyclosporine (Neoral) with delayed response but now with good labs/ recent kidney toxicity, so off of cyclosporine now and trying generic Imuran
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 05:16 PM

Before treatment, John kept working full time. Then he took short term disability for the first six month to undergo treatment. He then went on long term disability for six months and then went back part-time for the second year. He then was able to go back full time. He was transfusion dependent for two years. It was difficult but I drove him everywhere during this time.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 02:16 AM

work

Hi Hispit,

I have moderate AA now, and have had 2 transfusions due to shortness of breath. I am at work right now having shortness of breath (even after my 2nd transfusion Tuesday). I have been debating this same thing you are talking about, and actually posted a thread recently. I guess it all boils down to how much you can handle, and still take care of yourself. I am having to return to full time work due to finances, but if I can't handle it, I will go back to part time, and if I can't handle that, then guess it will be disability for me. I also work 12 hour shifts (7pm-7am), and that is really rough on our bodies...I hope you find a happy medium. Keep me updated, Linda
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.