Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits Your finances, insurance, job issues, and veterans benefits

Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 09:17 AM

Possible Financial Assistance for Treatment /Drugs?

There is a long list of agencies given to offer financial assistance, some to underinsured patients and to uninsured patients.
http://www.mds-foundation.org/articl...cts-part-d.htm

My understanding from reading some of the material is that charitable organizations can offer financial assistance to Medicare Part D clients but under the new ruling, pharmaceutical companies can not because it could be considered kick-back. I don't know how accurate that information is or my interpretation but it can be found in the document at http://www.cdfund.org/pdf/CDF_PAguide.pdf

Chris Thomas, 74
MDS/RARS - Trisomy 8
dx: 11/1996 tx: dependent
Old Sun Oct 1, 2006, 10:30 PM

I see they are still listing the Patient Advocate Foundation. We called them 2 years ago and were told that they no longer handled Aplastic Anemia cases. They didn't say why, and I don't know if they handle MDS or not, but I told somebody at AAMDSIF that, and she seemed surprised.

NeedyMeds has been a valuable resource for us. They don't offer any assistance themselves, but they tell you which medications you may be able to get covered and give you the forms to fill out for each of the drug companies. We've been able to get Neupogen, Procrit and Gengraf (cyclosporine) all comped. They don't make it easy, but when you don't have drug coverage you just have to do whatever you can. After Ken's first ATG we were paying $3,500/month just for drugs alone, and with no income coming in! Who can afford full price on these medications?

-Lisa
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 08:56 AM

finanicial assistance for Revlimid

LIsa--Just saw you info. on getting assistance on meds ,while on Medicare D. D I am in the process of trying to get assistance for Revlimid. So far not too successful. You are right, who can afford $6000.00 for a 28 day supply?Even though your meds are different then mine , I would love to hear more. I am a new member of marrowforums and need all the advice right now.!
Thank you and hoping to hear from you!! Hoping you are feeling the best you can. Viv
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 08:21 PM

Viv, here is a link to the page from NeedyMeds for Revlimid:

http://www.needymeds.com/drug_list.t...&name=Revlimid

Unfortunately they don't seem to have an online application for that one, and the implication seems to be that if you are already getting Medicare D you don't qualify for any further assistance. I don't know what to tell you, this is really frustrating!

I don't know what they expect the average person to do. Whenever you read about these wonderful breakthroughs they never tell you that the majority of the population will be unable to afford them.