Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 10:50 AM

Vidaza response?

My mother has started 7 days first cycle of Vidaza with today being 4th day after 3 days of Vidaza dose. She in hospital.
She has not felt any side effect except some weekness yesterday.
In 3 days, her WBC has dropped from 1.9 to 1.6. Hemoglobin level has dropped from 9.3 to 8.5 . Platelet has dropped from 176 to 66.
She was given blood tranfusion and platelet prior to start of Vidaza.

I worried about platelet as it is dropping daily from 176->135->93->66 (today). Is this ok?

I will appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:03 PM

Marrow suppression is a common side effect of treatment with Vidaza. The numbers tend to reach their lowest point a few days after each cycle is completed, and they then tend to recover shortly thereafter.

As for the impact, each patient is a little different. My platelet numbers hang around 20k to 30k without any real problems, but some people experience more severe bleeding and bruising at higher numbers than mine. Some people become really tired when hemoglobin drops below 10, others adjust and do pretty well at 8.5.

With low white and platelet counts, the key is to be more careful. Avoid germs and injuries as best as possible until the numbers recover.

I wish your mother the best of luck.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 05:19 PM

my husband after his 1st set of Vidaza need blood and plt trans...it was a very anxious time....after the 1st set all his counts started to come up, he just finished his 5th set and has not needed a red blood or plt trans in over 3 months, this is after 78 red blood trans....he is using evening primrose oil in the areas he has the needles and redness has not occured....he has responded very well to this drug....he puked once after his 1st set and the plts were so low the blood vessels in his face broke...what a mess, but he healed...just as the other said watch out for infection....
I would like to thank again all who have come before him in taking part in the trials for this drug....
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 05:26 PM

Just looked at my husband's charts his plt went down to 16 and at the start of the 2nd set they were 158 ....
Wish you and your Mom the very best....