Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Tue Oct 8, 2013, 12:58 PM

Vitamin K2 and blood transfusion

Hello, my mother has recently started taking Vitamin K2-MK4. Will this interfere with the blood transfusions that she receives, is there a risk of clotting?
Old Tue Oct 8, 2013, 03:20 PM

From what I've read (and on the bottle of K2 I bought), it says do not take if you are on the blood thinner coumadin...

Based upon that, it appears to help with clotting and prevent thinning...

Also when I met with my transplant pharmasist, I told him that I was taking K2 as a supplement (in addition to Folate, B-complex, D3 & Multivitamin), and he said that was fine up until the transplant, but definitely no K2 after or during TBI & chemo or post transplant...
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)
Old Tue Oct 8, 2013, 04:24 PM

From what I understand, and what was stated on the recent webinar on alternative/complementary medicine, Vit K2 does not increase the risk of blood clotting. Vitamin K1 is needed for proper blood clotting. But even K1 will not increase the risk of blood clots.

The warning is really for those on blood thinners since taking K1 can counteract the action of the drug making it difficult for them to adjust the dosage to obtain the therapeutic blood thinning effect. If you take K1 while on blood thinners, you may have to increase the dosage of the drug.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Oct 9, 2013, 04:36 AM

Thanks whizbang, Marlene.

Just checked with the doctor as well, there is no problem for her to take the k2. Transfusion day today so just being a bit cautious.